Introducing Firmware 8.1!

Yes. I made a change on the support.cgi page, went back to the Dashboard, refreshed the Dashboard to see the pending change, hit Apply Changes button and the yellow stripe about the pending changes remained visible on the Dashboard.

@Michael234, I have checked. This web UI bug will be fixed in 8.1.1. You may need to refresh the browser for the time being.

Thanks.

1 Like

If only every bug was a trivial as this one :slight_smile: Thanks.

Another minor issue with fw 8.1:

The checkbox for enabling/disabling an AP has been removed in firmware 8.1. Beats me why. Now, to have an SSID that is defined but disabled, it has to be scheduled always off. An Always-Off AP does not appear on the Dashboard. Fine. But when viewing the list of APs (AP tab → AP → Wireless SSID and AP tab → Controller Status → Wireless SSID) there is no visual indication about an AP being “virtually disabled” (aka scheduled always off).

1 Like

Do you mind to provide a screenshot on this? I wish to ensure we are on the same page. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, of course. This is from a Balance 20x firmware 8.1.0

1 Like

Perhaps to add to this… I"m curious on the effect of having operating schedule defined at the AP Profile.

Which one takes precedence? I haven’t tested this… but seems like you can define two schedules for each SSID… one in AP → Wireless SSID and under AP → Settings → < an ap profile >

1 Like

@Michael234. I got you now. Look like this is not available.

The platform for B20X is a bit different. You may do this if you want to disable specific SSID.

Guest SSID will be disabled with the screenshot above.

Thanks.

1 Like

This seems like changing the rules in the middle of the game. I had SSIDs scheduled to be always off and it turned out that does not work (firmware 8.1 Balance 20x). I assumed this to be a bug. If I have to uncheck each frequency band, then why have scheduling at all?

1 Like

Balance 20x, firmware 8.1. Minor quirk. My LAN ports are numbered 4, 5,6 and 7 instead of 1,2,3 and 4. Messages in the Event Log refer to 1,2,3 and 4.

1 Like

We filed this bug. Thanks for reporting this.

1 Like

Still think it would be a great idea to have all know bugs visible so we can check the current status of the known bugs as well as seeing a history of when they were discovered and when they were extinguished.
If anyone agrees let Peplink know by liking the below post:

4 Likes

Absolutely. 8.1 is a great example: The issues are so numerous it’s difficult to keep track of them. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I completely agree that the company should have a list of known bugs. It is in everyone’s best interest and is the professional thing to do.

2 Likes

I completely agree. Together with the great PL support staff I have found several documented issues / bugs in 8.1 (and some additional ones in AP AC One Mini Firmware 3.7.3 beta3). Some of them severe, sadly.
I even needed to remove the APs from central management to get them working as intended.
For me - by all respect and considering the great new functions in 8.1, I cannot recommend it for production use.
I hope they will release a better quality approved version 8.1.1., soon.

2 Likes

Michael Horowitz from routersecurity.org just raised a warning to not use fw release 8.1 on productive PL units (2 x on begin of page and nearly at the end of page):
Routersecurity Article

@ckirch,

It seems that article is focused on functionality issues with 8.1, rather than security concerns. Have you seen references to security vulnerabilities with 8.1 in it?

I apologize, if I maybe I got the context wrong (I am no native English speaker). Michael H. says for example:

WARNING October 7, 2020. I have been using a Balance 20x running firmware 8.1 and it is clearly not ready for prime time. The bugs I have encountered in this firmware are sufficient that I would not recommend anyone use it. I can only recommend firmware version 7.

He also mentions in that same paragraph:

The Balance 20x is new and can not run firmware 7 at all. Thus, the only upgrade I can recommend is to a Balance One model which is old enough that it can still run firmware 7. I have not used a Balance One.

The B20x can only be rolled back to FW 8.0.2 I believe.

I’ve been working with support for over a month now trying to debug issues with 8.1.0 and my B20x… Hopefully the little inconveniences I’m going through will benefit the product and community by revealing bugs so they can be properly addressed in the next firmware release. :cowboy_hat_face:

For you all info, this will be fixed in 8.1.1GA. Thanks.

1 Like