How to disable WiFi 6 Protocol (AX) on the new AX APs

in case they take down the products, here’s some pictures (product model is :
NETGEAR Cloud Managed Wireless Access Point (WAX610) - WiFi 6 Dual-Band AX1800 Speed | Up to 200 Client Devices | 802.11ax | Insight Remote Management | PoE+ Powered or AC Adapter (not included)

I mean they even left the absolutely terrible rail mount system… they didn’t even bother to change that

Oh yeah and these are 2.5gigabit ethernet, so they improved on that…

Sorry to vent here, but its been a nightmare dealing with these things after years of not a single issue with the old hardware and now I find this out…it was too much, I just snapped, and I have to get this off my chest and I just don’t know where else to do it that would understand the level of anger and frustration this has caused, thanks to you all for bearing through this haha, this feels like craftsman all over again.

And again, I do this because I love this company, and I’m sad to see this happen to it, nothing else, I’m angry because I care.

I know this sounds silly but some people care about plants, We care about our peplinks.

Netgear, Peplink and Draytek have the exact same hardware vendors they buy wifi equipment from and probably other brands as well. They all have this same AP with comparable HW specs just a different logo on the plastic.

The big difference is the software though, the Peplink software is more advanced and does support DFS channels, the others don’t. With that the Peplink is able to push out around 800-900Mbps on the APO-AX and 600-750Mbps on the APO-AX-LITE. Are all drivers up-to-date of the laptops?

We have several customers running with the APO-AX and the APO-AX-Lite. Either using Cisco PoE+ SG300-350 models or Peplink injectors, both work fine.

Keep in mind, when setting signal to boost, you are pushing the AP’s to the max the hardware can handle, which gives you the huge power draw. Without Boost on, the APO-AX works fine on the SG300 Cisco’s we still have running…

That does not surprise me that they use a manufacturer that others use. If we dumb things down, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of brands of car batteries, and probably only a couple companies that actually manufacture them. You can find the same battery has a wide range in price, looks the same, and merely has different labels slapped on. It is well known that Peplink charges a premium for their hardware, likely based on their software value. People can find plenty of less expensive routers, but they do not run Peplink’s software.

That said, is anyone else having issues with these APs? I was about to order some and will be disappointed if certain devices have issues/can’t stay connected.

@Alvaro_Cortes, it is so unfortunate to hear about the bad experiences you had on the APO-AX. Do you think you can submit a support ticket for us to take a closer look at the issues you have with the AP?

1 Like

Yes, I understand this is common practice in the industry to lower increase the bottom line, but peplink had not done so, ever, at least in the traditional sense (yes the surf go and other small “tests” were outsourced but their main stuff was always done with their main partner, Pismo Labs).

If you look up the FCC registrations on all pismo labs equipment you notice they are either peplink or they manufacture almost exclusively to peplink. I’ve been around network hardware for decades, I make a standard procedure to always open up new hardware to see what makes it tick, what hardware they are using, and just see the quality of their work, I had never heard of pismo, peplink equipment is the first place Ive ever seen it used, and I have never seen it anywhere else, and I’ve opened a LOT of network equipment, I stopped opening peplinks after the rugged since I figured no need, they always use similar base hardware (the computer bit) and use addon boards (which is great) to add fancy functions (wifi etc)

Thank you for this great piece of info, makes perfect sense that boost would overdraw the power on the PoE port, I hadn’t thought of this and may be a great hotfix solution to the PoE power draw issue, although… this, being a peplink product, should have never have had this problem in the first place (over drawing power), that’s a big oversight.

For the most part they work ok, Intel devices (laptops) do not seem to have any problems, but other wifi network cards and some old apple devices just go nuts, 2018 ipads just refuse to connect outright, and whatever network cards are being used on lenovo carbon and nano PCs are just crazy, they connect to the wifi but do not get an ip, sometimes they do sometimes they dont, when they do the speed is totally random, never more than 150 megs, and 99% of time 7-15 megs, amazingly theres no packet loss but a lot of random delay, UDP packets constantly drop, video/audio calls are near impossible etc, its just super wierd

Hi @WeiMing thank you for the acknowledgement, I have put a ticket in, although I’m not sure how much I can do atm since the units are now offline, and stored back in their boxes.

I know I’m asking much but I have a feeling that removing the AX protocol may not fix the problem but at least turn these things from absolutely useless to “ok not great but they work” status, which at this point ill take that, I hope they add that option to the units in the future so we can give them another shot.

I think AX tech is not yet perfect, there are still issues, ASUS routers acknowledge this and allow you to disable WiFi 6, all were asking is for peplink to add the option to the firmware to be able to disable this, just like most other professional router manufacturers do because they know there’s still some rare issues, so if we run into any we can turn it off and give the customer something that works and doesn’t drive him insane, we realize it will no longer be WiFi6 but honestly they hire us to get wifi in the house/office/boat, they couldn’t care less if its 6, 5, 4 or 3, as long as the TVs don’t lag when loading the movie, their phone sends messages instantly and videochats don’t lag or hang, they really don’t care what you sell them or do, for wifi, if we have learned something in all this time, is that stability > speed every single time, if we can get rock solid 100mb wifi is more than enough.

I’m adding a screenshot of a router I had to install in a customers vacation home because I could not sell him any peplinks, and the old ones are now impossible to find or have several months lead time, he needed a solution fast or I would loose the sale, I went with what we used to install before, ASUS and it worked just fine, its not a peplink but it will do the job, I have to DynDNS to be able to manage these things but nothing I don’t already do for all our old 710 (Because InControl pricing on those is just too high, and customers just will not pay it)

@Alvaro_Cortes, appreciate your response. Let us take a look at the ticket and we shall follow up from there on.

1 Like

Any updates on this? Has the issue been pinpointed? Has Peplink figured out a way to allow AX protocol to be disabled?

I am curious about this too. Any updates?

@TK_Liew can you please advise on this? We just deployed AP ONE AX in place of very old ASUS routers and the signal is not covering the same space that the ASUS did. I would like to disable AX protocol and see if there is an improvement. Thank you.

I also believe the AP ONE AX has 25 dbm of power while the asus was 23 so was expecting same or better signal.

1 Like

I have had a similar situation. I have a location that we replaced the existing ruckus system with 24 AP one AX, a balance 305 driving it all and a 1 gig fiber connection. After replacing everything the complaints started coming in. Worked with it for 6 months and can’t quite get the performance out of these devices that I know they are capable of.

The average users (devices) on the system at any given moment is 250. During the heat of the day (between 10am-2pm) the throughput was down to single digits or less and with high jitter rates and ping times all over the place up to 2500ms or more at times. The lan connection to each access point checked fine and passed all tests with low rates on jitter and ping.

We have adjusted the power, client signal strength, channels, channel width, etc… all provided little to no improvements.

Had a conversation with someone about ubiquiti AP’s and failing miserably using the cloud management tools they provide with high numbers of AP’s. We were using incontrol to setup and manage the AP’s. So we are trying an experiment and using the built in AP controller on the B305 to control all the AP’s instead of incontrol.

It’s been a few days and the performance is definitely better but not earth shattering yet. I am still playing with the settings to find what works best which is a bit of a tedious process.

So far, the complaints have disappeared since the switch or they are saving it up for a rainy day. Not sure yet but hopefully we are on the right path.

I will post updates with results when I have them.

Can I confirm the old Asus router is using 2.4GHz radio? If so, this is expected as 2.4GHz has better coverage if compare to 5GHz radio.

it was an ASUS RT-AC86U running both 2.4 and 5ghz just like the AP ONE AX. I am really in a pinch here because alternative is opening up walls to run more ethernet, deploying additional AP which will be expensive, and is not ideal…

Ticket # 23060287

I will follow up with you in Ticket # 23060287.

Thanks. Word is there is a Beta coming later this month that will allow disabling AX. I have tried multiple positions with the AP ONE AX, same location as prior ASUS, and still am not getting great results.

I cannot wait much longer for the beta that will allow disabling of AX. I am hoping that AX is the issue and disabling it will fix things but I really cannot wait. I am sitting in the same room as an AP ONE AX, 10 feet away, I physically see it in front of me, and my computer is jumping between 2.4 and 5ghz, showing low signal, speed limited, etc. This is insane.

For reference, my prior ASUS, I could walk down my 150-200 foot driveway and maintain signal and connectivity. With the AP ONE AX, I step outside my house and I’m almost instantly disconnected. My ASUS did not use AX.

I have more AP ONE AX/LITE to deploy in additional locations and I can’t even get it working at my house.

Another question, what power output are folks seeing on the AP ONE AX. I was told “APO-AX has a base Wi-Fi Transmit Power of 25dBm” However set With BOOST Current Output Power is only 21 on 2.4ghz. I see there is a custom option up to 30 but is that safe? What might PoE power draw be at each interval from say 20 to 30?

i bought the netgear wax620. it seems to perform better than the peplink ap one ax right out of the box. it appears to be the same hardware? so is this leading to prove a software issue with the ap one ax?

i tried playing again with the ap one ax, it was more stable with it outputting 23dbm power then it decided to drop to 21dbm and now things arent working well again. i am pretty sure that is one of the main issues. the device is supposed to do 25 dbm so why won’t it? i even try setting it to custom and 25 or higher and it maybe does 21.