GRE Tunnel Support for Peplink Balance Firmware 5.4.x

May I know Peplink balance fimrware 5.4.x and 6.1.x is able to support GRE Tunnel? If yes, is it possible help me covert below Cisco command to Peplink? Below is the sample Cisco IPSEC over GRE configuration - please advise how do I translate below configuration into Peplink.**
interface Tunnel6504911**
ip address 172.17.43.1 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
ip mtu 1400
ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
delay 1000
tunnel source Loopback64043
tunnel destination 172.17.43.2
** tunnel key 6504911**
** tunnel protection ipsec profile MyProfile**

The Balance does not support the GRE protocol on the WAN interface at this time.

1 Like

HI, what is the current GRE support status for the product line?

Thanks
Dana

The GRE Tunnel is an experimental feature so here are few things to take note of:

1. This GRE tunnel feature is hidden by default; however you can access the GRE setting page from the link inside Support Page (http://<Your device’s IP>/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi).

2. In this test, the environment is using a Cisco to establish the GRE tunnel with a Max BR1, using the following parameters:
    a) Cisco Router

• WAN Interface IP: 192.168.1.2/24
    • LAN Interface IP: 10.1.1.1/24
    • Tunnel 0 Interface IP: 172.16.1.2/24
    • Tunnel 0 Interface no keepalive
    • IP route 192.168.50.1/24 via Tunnel 0

b) Max BR1 Router

• WAN Interface IP: 192.168.1.1/24
  • LAN Interface IP: 192.168.50.1/24
  • GRE Tunnel Interface IP: 172.16.1.1/24
    In the GRE settings page, please note the below parameters and value:
    i. Remote GRE IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    ii.Tunnel Local IP Address: 172.16.1.1
    iii. Tunnel Remote IP Address: 172.16.1.2
  1. As the new feature is specially built, some event reporting might not be ready yet.
  • The GRE Status will show “Connected” on the Dashboard once you Apply Changes, regardless the GRE peer has been set up or not.
  • In the Event Log, you won’t able to see the status of the GRE tunnel connection/disconnection record.
  • You can check the GRE tunnel functionality by Ping, Traceroute, or commands from Cisco router."
1 Like

This post was about 6 months ago. Any update on the experimental GRE feature for Peplink products?

I see the feature in the 6.2.2 firmware. My question is: is it now a mature feature since it isn’t hidden?

Hi,

GRE tunnel still an experimental feature at the moment.

I believe you are referring to the GRE on WAN interface. This is a special connection method with the ISP, not the LAN-to-LAN GRE tunnel.

Hope this help.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Any timeline for when GRE is no longer considered experimental? Is this expected sometime in 2016?

Hi,

No plan at the moment. Anyway, the door still open. We will consider this if this is commonly used.

1 Like

I’ll use it.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Use GRE tunnel within OSPF dynamic routing