Fleet Management Login

some of my clients have separate departments that need access to information from the management platform. I recently signed a contract to provide Fleet Management while providing fleet Management. One department of the company needs Captive Portal Reports for Marketing while the security Department needs strictly Fleet Management Access to manage the Fleet. Can there be a Login that strictly permits access to Fleet Management? I would love for the Fleet Manager to view a map where they can focus strictly on managing the fleet.

1 Like

Hello @Kedon_Luke,
If we understand you correctly, you want to have both of these options within InContro2:

• Restrict access to Captive Portal reporting only (this already exists in Group Settings under “Role” called “Captive Portal Report Viewer”)
  • Restrict access to Live Location Tracking only (no other device or usage details)

These are both good requests and the second is certainly and interesting one and could be useful for client control rooms so I’ll +1 on that.

You may also find that some of the participants in the forum here have used the available InControl2 API to develop there own fleet management tracking system, is this something that would be of interest to you?

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am definitely interested in the fleet management tracking system. If you would be so kind to refer me to that person or persons I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks much

Kedon

1 Like

Hello @Kedon_Luke,
This whole forum is full of official Peplink Staff and Peplink Partners, just by posting your feature request here you have already got there attention even if they have not made a comment (hey its the weekend after all).
Happy to Help,

@Kedon_Luke What does your security department specifically need? Do they only need to view the group level Dashboard page only (where a map of devices are shown)? If yes, a group level role “Dashboard Viewer” may serve the purpose. If no, could you elaborate more?

2 Likes

Essentially, the security department is seeking the regular outcomes from a Fleet Management System. They are not really tech savvy so they want to see all units on a screen so they can: Monitor Speed in real time (for instance, while the vehicles are moving a speed could be seen above the unit), Track routes in real time and review route histories when needed. Most of these are available already but they want it in a simple form that is apealing to the eyes and they want it simple enough for a low level staff to monitor this activity. The company transports tourists as most of my clients do and the units have to stop at “Sponsored Rest Stops” that are along the route from the airport to their Hotel or from the tour and the Hotel. The security department should be alerted once the unit stops, the location where the unit has stopped and the duration of the stop so they can report in real time if the unit has stopped somewhere other than the sponsored rest stop. I do not know the intricacies involved with features such as alerting when the vehicle is trottling, this knkwledge would be good to help in the conservation of fuel.
If possible, to protect my business from competitors or copycats I do not want to expose device information sucn as model or serial number etc, I just want them to see a map of devices, I want them to be able to know where the unit is located in real time, the speed at which it is traveling and when and where it stopped and the length of time it stopped for. They can click on the particular unit for details such as route history or if they want to find out particular information on that specific unit. Any additional fleet related information that can be added is welcomed, we take it that it would be standard for this information to be accessed via smartphone tablet or pc.

PS. I hope I explained it properly. Please bear in mind that I am competing with companies that provide Fleet Management Systems as their primary business but I have secured contracts based on the fact that I provide WiFi along with Fleet Management, therefore i want to provide the best possible Fleet Management Platform for my clients.

Best regards,

Kedon Luke

MiFi Jamaica

5 Likes

Your information is very detailed and helpful for us to understand what you are looking for.

You may want a new user role who could only view the group level map. Tabular view of devices shall be hidden. On the map, the devices’ shall only be labeled with their name but not their model or s/n.

I think our existing geo-fencing and alerting feature already allowed the security department to know the time and the duration a unit has stopped at “sponsored rest stops”. You could find the “Geo-fencing” in group level Settings menus. You just need to draw geo-fencing zones at the stops on the map and choose to enable email notifications. Whenever a unit enters or leaves any zones, the department will receive an e-mail. Those events will also be logged into the Event Log for future reviews.

We are working on adding a map to the IC2 mobile app. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks alot Michael looking forward. I will definitely look into the Geofencing option in regards to the rest stop. For clarity though, the Sponsored Rest Stop is between the airport and the Hotel so it would be within the geofence (if I have the geofence correct). The idea is to ensure the bus driver stops at the correct stop along the way rather than stopping at other stops that do not have company approval.
I am really excited! You guys have opem so many doors for my business. Just by using your product we have moved from a company that rents portable modems at the airport to a company that provides WiFi in buses, yachts and remote locations and providing opportunities for adverrising and now Fleet Management!

Thanks alot!

Kedon Luke

MiFi Jamaica

3 Likes

We planned to add the new user role in later InControl releases. Tentative target: Q4, 2018.

3 Likes

It would really advance help my business to grow if we could get this soon. Please launch it as soon as possible Michael I am looking forward.

Kedon

1 Like

Hey Michael,

Are we on schedule for the launch of the Fleet Management new user role? I promised some of my customers that and told them this quarter so they are excited and I was just accosted by my biggest customer. Tell me the great news you have in regards to launch as soon as you can.

Looking forward to great things.

Best regards,

Kedon Luke

MiFi Jamaica

2 Likes

The new user role is targeted in IC 2.9. The ETA is still Q4, 2018.

4 Likes

Hey,

I have a question; so one of my clients that needs the Fleet Managemt login uses buses that do not belong to the company and hence the actual owner of the vehicles wants to have access to monitor their buses as well. Is it possible to give a bus owner access to monitor their particular bus only while giving the company that contracts all buses access to manage all the buses?

Best regards,

Kedon

Sorry, it is really not possible to confine access rights down to device-level. The most granular level is group-level.

Hello @Kedon_Luke & @Michael,
We have found a way to do this (well to some extent).

Back in the early days when we initially started using InControl2 we had all of our customers in a single organisation, each customer was setup with there own group in that organisation, then one day one of our customers said they need to give out permissions to each of the site routers in the group.

Well we did some testing and bit the bullet breaking 99% of our customers out into individual organisations (the 1% were a select few that fitted better being under our own organisation for support).

So this is what we have:

• Organisation XYZABC has several groups, each group is a separate site (or sub customer), this allows for permissions to be granted at the organisational level for those needing access to everything
  • Groups can be treated as sites or franchises, those needing access (such as a client or area manager) are given just that group level permission.

In your situation @Kedon_Luke, you can move your customers busses into a separate group and give them access just at the group level, leaving you and your support team with access from the organisational level.

Happy to Help,

1 Like

Brilliant idea Marcus,

1 Like

Is there any other way than manually removing each device from the established group and adding them to a new Organization?
Are there any workarounds that can allow me to achieve my desired end which is to have another organization with the devices from a particular group?

1 Like

Michael are we any closer to the Fleet Management Platform? Can you please provide me with an ETA so I can report something to my overzealous customers?

1 Like
  1. In the coming IC 2.8, organization administrators will be able to “split” some selected groups from their existing organization into a new one. Their devices, reports, and configurations will also be migrated to the new organization. ETA: October.

2. See my last message below. We are still on track. As it involves substantial changes, so it won’t be available in IC 2.8.

2 Likes