Firmware 8.4.0 RC 4

We are pleased to announce that Firmware 8.4.0 RC 4 is now available.

This RC 4 firmware was released as a General Availability (GA) version on October 10, 2023.

Download the Firmware

Download the Release Notes

SMS Control Command Reference

Download the SNMP MIB for Firmware 8.4.0

4 Likes

I still have the “RemoteSIM component is incompatible to the firmware, please contact distributor for support.” error as I’ve had every build/RC of 8.4.0.

1 Like

I am seeing the same error still.

Ticket Id: 23090963

Also new with RC4, I am now also seeing this at the bottom of the dashboard:
“An error occurred in the ContentHub storage. Please contact distributor for support. (M)”

I hope a fix is in the works.

• Chris

So is this firmware broken or not? See two people with issues and I’m afraid to update and make mine more broke than what it is now.

FWIW same issue as RC3, on B20x it did not take the first time, but did the second attempt

FWIW these errors are usually pretty harmless. RC4 is no worse off than RC3 as far as I can tell, and probably a bit better with the fixes in it.

1 Like

I have the same issue and updating the firmware twice does not fix it. I was planning on living with it until the F/W goes GA and then I’ll raise a ticket to have PL support clear the message.

On the B20X platform I have given up on updating to 8.3 or 8.4 from an 8.3 or 8.4 beta/RC. I have had to go back to 8.2.1 to get a consistent update.
Occasionally it works, but more often it doesn’t and I just don’t have time to debug it further.

On Max Transit Due HW2 - attempting to get Starlink configured, the WAN page shows Starlink WAN config panel briefly and then disappears, showing only Synergy panel, not the Starlink.

Chrome and Safari, MacOS.

1 Like

Based on the release notes, starlink is not supported on the Transit Duo.
It is supported on the:
Balance: 310X, 380X, 580X, 310
5G/Fiber 5G, 305/380 or above
MAX: BR1 Pro 5G, BR1 Pro HW7,
BR2 Pro, Transit 5G, HD1
Dome/Dome Pro, HD2/4 MBX
MediaFast: 500, 750
PDX, SDX, SDX Pro, EPX

1 Like

Trying to use the StarLink features on a Max Transit 5G. I updated the firmware to 8.4.0 build 5595, but nothing for StarLink is showing up on the WAN settings page. Where do I find it, or has anyone else had this issue?

Is there any further documentation on the new “least used” outbound policy and why it was apparently specifically requested by starlink? How does it work? Why does it work? :slight_smile:

did you look on peplink website? https://www.peplink.com/technology/load-balancing-algorithms/#:~:text=Least%20Used,bandwidth%20among%20the%20selected%20connections.

1 Like

Yes - it is quite uninformative and says nothing about why this was requested and implemented for Starlink.

Support just informed me that the B20X firmware update issue was fixed in 8.4.0 RC3, and I can confirm that an update from RC3 to RC4 went fine.

1 Like

@grahamk, do you mind sharing where you get the information about the “Least Used” algorithm in relation to Starlink?

[Update]
I think I got what you mean…
It is a feature enhancement that allow user to choose the Uplink as the bandwidth measurement. We have updated our online user manual, which more details can be found here.

2 Likes

With Firmware 8.4 now official, when can owners of legacy models expect the vulnerability stated here to be addressed? There seems to be no clear answer…

I was hoping that was a typo or an omission…

Is there any difference at all with the RC4 version and GA? Must one download the latest GA file which is the same build 5416 and reapply it for any reason? Or safe to run RC4 indefinitely? Thanks.