Firmware 8.0.0 is now RC2

firmware-8
firmware

We are pleased to announce that Firmware 8 is now in RC2.

Supported models:
EPX, Balance, MAX, SpeedFusion Engine, FusionHub, Surf SOHO

Here are the release notes.

Head over to https://www.peplink.com/open-beta-program/ and get yours now!

pinned globally #2

Awesome.

I just heard back on my ticket that engineering will be adding "Lowest Latency” and “Least Used” options to the Outbound policy drop down on Pepwave MAX BR1 devices aka MK2. The device already supports Lowest Latency because the tool tip for the “auto” option says “When Auto is chosen, lowest latency algorithm will be applied.” Sounds like it will be added in RC3.

Thank you!

What are the changes between RC1 and RC2 ?

Is bufferbloat management gonna be included or remain experimental in the final release?

Just upgraded to RC2 on my Balance One, and I can confirm that the bufferbloat mitigation is working as in the earlier betas: I’m getting full download speed again, along with A+ bufferbloat scores.

Upgrading from 7.1 to 8.0 RC2. I did (4) Balance One, and (1) B380. In all five cases the setting for SIP pass thru reset itself from Standard Mode to Compatibility Mode. Sounds like a bug.

@Don_Ferrario, this is strange. We tested upgrading from 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7,1,2 to 8.0.0 RC2 without issue. Can help to open ticket for us to take a closer look?

@zegor_mjol, can I confirm this only happens to the FusionHub Solo which installed in vultr.com? Do you have another FusionHub Solo that installed in another platform?

It is possibly more complicated (or there are other, completely independent factors). I ran the basic experiment:

1. Created new vultr.com instance
  2. Installed the 6.2.2 build 1370 distribution (the “raw” image)
  3. Upgraded to 7.1.1 build 1538 via IC2 (device details page). Success.
  4. Upgraded to 8.0.0 build 1586 via IC2 (device details page). Success.

So unless I run into this again then I think it fair to disregard the previous alarm.

Z.

I have some questions about the PEPVPN compatibility text in the release notes.
The release notes says
PepVPN backward compatibility option is no longer available. By deprecating the old
firmware versions, we now have a more secure handshake channel as the default setting, only
TLS 1.2 will be accepted, no more TLS 1.0 and 1.1 for the old devices. Thus, if you are using
devices running Firmware 6.1 or older, you will no longer be able to form PepVPN tunnels with
those devices unless the firmware is updated
We have a few: Pepwave MAX On-The-Go HW1 devices that are running
Firmware: 6.3.5 build 2763
PepVPN Version: 5.0.0

The compatibility section says:

Will the Pepwave MAX On-The-Go HW1 with 6.3.5 build 2763 still be able to be compatible by moving the radio to the Latest selection, or will it need a new update?

No worry, the answer is Yes.

Is anyone else’s CPU pinned to 100% since loading RC2? Thanks