FAQ - BR1 Mini HW3

##Is the MAX BR1 Mini suitable for me?

What is the MAX BR1 Mini?
The MAX BR1 Mini is a small form-factor device optimally suited for M2M/IoT or mobile applications. It can also serve as a convenient full-featured router for higher bandwidth applications. Some customers even use them in their homes.

How fast is this device?
The MAX BR1 Mini has a rated throughput of 300Mbps.
The LTE (CAT-6) Modem of the MAX BR1 Mini has a 300Mb/sec downlink data rate and a 50Mb/sec uplink data rate.
The LTE (CAT-4) Modem of the MAX BR1 Mini has a 150Mb/sec downlink data rate and a 50Mb/sec uplink data rate.
The complete Spec Sheet can be found here.

Is it suitable for mobile use?
Certainly! Its rugged metal enclosure makes it suitable for mobile use. It can function in ambient temperatures ranging from -40 oF to +149 oF. There is an industrial Micro-Fit power connector for secure power installation in vehicles and extreme locations.

What certifications does the MAX BR1 Mini have?
The MAX BR1 Mini has certifications on:

• FCC, CE, and RoHS

What are the differences between the MAX BR1 Mini (HW2) and (HW3)?
The BR1 Mini (HW3) offers a faster speed with improved overall throughput and 3 x Gigabit Ethernet ports. The upgrade in Wi-Fi capabilities from Wi-Fi 4 to 5 supports concurrent dual-band mode. This allows clients to use the 2.4 GHz band for basic needs such as web surfing and Internet of Things (IoT), and the 5 GHz band for bandwidth-demanding applications. To keep your power source more secure, the coaxial power connector is replaced by the Micro-Fit industrial connector, making the BR1 Mini HW3 perfect for transportation and on-the-go mobile deployments.
image.png

What is SpeedFusion Connect 5G/LTE?
With Speedfusion Connect 5G/LTE, you can access on-demand data plans and only pay for what you need. SpeedFusion Connect 5G/LTE is an all-in-one solution offering access to not only SpeedFusion Connect Protect but also LTE data. Click here to learn more.

What is the best use case for the MAX BR1 Mini?
The answer isn’t set in stone. From M2M/IoT to mobile applications, the MAX BR1 Mini has got you covered. Click here and we can work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance together.

##What is included with the MAX BR1 Mini?

What’s in the box?
Along with the router, there are 2x LTE Antennas (ACW-235), 2x Dual-Band Wi-Fi Antennas (ACW-342), 1x GPS Active Antenna (ACW-232), and 1x 12V 2A 4pin Power Supply (ACW-632).

Is my product covered under warranty?
Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?
Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

What is PrimeCare?
PrimeCare makes SpeedFusion networks easier to build. It’s a subscription that bundles InControl, a warranty, SpeedFusion license upgrades, and FusionHub Licenses with standard RMA.

How do I know whether my router is a PrimeCare device?
Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis. Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.
image.png

What is SpeedFusion Connect Protect?
SpeedFusion Connect Protect is Peplink’s global network of SpeedFusion endpoints. With an active CarePlan or SpeedFusion Connect Protect data plan , you can utilize SpeedFusion wherever you are, eliminating the need for any additional hardware. Unsure of what you need? Check out this useful post.

Does the MAX BR1 Mini employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or SpeedFusion VPN?
SpeedFusion VPN is included in all products. For the MAX BR1 Mini, you can utilize the SpeedFusion technology, including Hot Failover and WAN Smoothing, with a feature pack add-on license.

What is SpeedFusion technology?
Peplink’s patented SpeedFusion technology is a powerful VPN tunnel equipped with a variety of technologies such as Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, Bandwidth Bonding, and much more. This empowers users with the flexibility and tools required to achieve unbreakable connectivity in any vertical or scenario that they might find themselves in. Click here to learn more about SpeedFusion.

How can I purchase a license for SpeedFusion Connect Protect with higher traffic speed and additional usage?
Easy. Look here!

##Using the MAX BR1 Mini

What size should the SIMs be?
The MAX BR1 Mini uses Nano-SIMs (4FF).

I see the unit has two SIM slots. Can they be used simultaneously?
The MAX BR1 Mini is a single modem device with 2 SIM slots. You can load two SIMs and switch between them, but only one can be used at a time.

What voltage is required?
The router is furnished with a 12V2A 4-Pin Power Supply. However, you can supply the router with 10-30V via a 4-pin Micro-Fit connector or 802.3at Power over Ethernet on LAN 1. You can use the 2 power inputs simultaneously for redundancy
What is the typical power consumption and the maximum power consumption?
The typical power consumption is 13W and the maximum power consumption is 18W.

Is there a way to protect vehicle batteries from drainage by the MAX BR1 Mini?
Yes. The MAX BR1 Mini is equipped with a power port with ignition sensing that enables ignition sensing features. Ignition sensing is an electronic device’s ability to be connected to a vehicle’s ignition for sensing when it is turned on or off. This can be used to synchronize and automate the process of turning on electronic devices in vehicles such as dash-cams and radios.

How can I set up GPIO?
You can learn more about the GPIO setup from our Ignition Sensing guide.

Does it support Band 71?
As Band 71 is provided by American internet service provider T-Mobile, only the MAX BR1 Mini version for the America Region (MAX-BR1-MINI-LTE-US-T-PRM) is able to use Band 71.

##License and Accessories
What is a feature pack?
A feature pack offers you the experience of an array of advanced features for a fraction of the cost. There are a total of 5 technologies that will give you a professional-grade user experience:
Wi-Fi WAN - Picks up on a known Wi-Fi and uses it as the WAN source
WAN activation - Enables the WAN interface on LAN 3
Hot Failover - Protect your connections with seamless failover
WAN Smoothing - Minimizes latency and reduces the impact of packet loss
Ignition Sensing - Allows the router to start-up or shut down as the engine of the vehicle is turned on or off.
GPIO - Handles both incoming and outgoing digital signals
We intend to allow you to acquire the router at a very reasonable cost and add only these options found to be necessary to meet your requirements. For more detail, click here.

Where can I get the InControl license?
Every MAX BR1 Mini comes with a year’s subscription to InControl with a valid warranty, so additional purchase is not required.
PrimeCare devices (SKU no. ending with -PRM) will need to be in PrimeCare in order to use InControl.
image.png

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc)?
Yes. An optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable the OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What if I need more than two SpeedFusion VPN Peers?
The MAX BR1 Mini has the capability for 2 SpeedFusion VPN Peers “built-in.” 5 SpeedFusion VPN Peers are enabled with a PrimeCare subscription.

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing FusionHubs?
Yes, you can. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any FusionHub that it is connected to. For example, a FusionHub 20 normally supports up to 20 peers. This is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth such as PoS Terminals.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?
First, Peplink Partners provide support to the users of the products they have sold, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Among the regular forum users are Peplink Partners, Peplink employees and many very knowledgeable users. Generally, folks with questions get answers rather quickly. In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can enter a support ticket with Peplink directly. In the latter case, you will receive attention from some of the best engineers! Peplink supports its users like no other.

I can’t access the Internet via the MAX BR1 Mini. What can I do?
Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic software walkthrough and troubleshooting guide. If that doesn’t work, reach out on our forum and the team will get you online.

3 Likes