Email notification configuration requires dumbing down gmail security

If you try to follow the instructions in Configuring Email Notification with GMail SMTP, you get a security alert from Google:

Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account [email protected] from an app that may put your account at risk. Less secure app

Don’t recognize this activity?

If you didn’t recently receive an error while trying to access a Google service, like Gmail, from a non-Google application, someone may have your password.

SECURE YOUR ACCOUNT

Are you the one who tried signing in?

Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app you’re using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.

So your choices are:

1. Don’t have email notifications.

2. Dumb down the security of your gmail account.

3. Find some other email server you can send to.

Peplink needs to update the firmware to support more robust email authentication.

I didn’t look at the link you provided, but I will say that when I switched from a local email server to using gmail (or google apps or whatever it’s called this year) I had to create a special, one-time password through Google for the Balance One to use the email notifications. I don’t recall the exact steps, but it is to account for these types of devices.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi,
I am running into the same issue… did you find a solution to it?
Thanks,

Never got it working. Changed to using an SMTP service.

This is still a problem. Is Peplink not going to update firmware to handle upgraded security like Gmail has?

Perhaps you can explain the issue further including what change in Peplink FW you would want to see? We have quite a number of Peplink routers in service where the users use GMail. No issues at all except the occasional time when Google thinks (erroneously) the user is an imposter. It most commonly seems to occur when the WAN address changes. That’s an issue with Google rather than Peplink.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe this only happens to people who don’t have a guaranteed IP address. My ISP is Comcast, and I’m a residential user. The IP address assigned to me is not guaranteed to remain the same, even though in general it does.

Hmmm. I don’t think that’s the issue. FWIW, IP addresses by Comcast infrequently change in our experience. When this “Gmail event” occurs is it case where a new computer is used to access an account or perhaps one where the cookies set by Google have been cleared so the computer is not recognized?

I really do not think this is a “Peplink issue.”

1 Like

Less secure app access

Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which makes your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps, which we recommend, or turn it on if you want to use them despite the risks. Google will automatically turn this setting OFF if it’s not being used. Learn more

• Allow less secure apps: ON
  • On May 30, 2022, this setting will no longer be available. Learn more

To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Instead, you’ll need to sign in using or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.

I had to turn this setting on again to temporarily restore email but it will go away on 22 May.

Mentions OAuth2 or other technologies, but no further info on their site which other ones would work in the future.

I believe this is what peplink users are asking for.

1 Like

@James_Graham ,

Google do recommended to using an Apps Password as the solution for the access.

Detail info :
Learn More

I just do a quick test on this and it work as expected.

Email Notification Settings:

Steps to generate google account Apps password :
Learn More

3 Likes

Thank you, that solved the issue.

1 Like

hi, i am trying using email and yahoo mail but cannot, then just read last year email from google as attached. than try to use less secure email such as zoho mail and proton. so far using zoho mail success.

Have you read this entire thread and tried the solution offered by sitloongs?