Disable SSID When No Internet Is Available On Specific WAN(s)

Is there a way to disable an SSID when there is no internet available?

We have a marine application where they want to provide free WiFi access to guests inside the vessel, but only when the vessel is close enough to the docks to utilize WiFi as a WAN. Having the guests just use the land based WiFi is not possible because the signal it is not strong enough to be received inside the vessel. The Peplink router however can connect to the land based WiFi very well because it is utilizing a good deck mounted antenna.

Geofencing configuration rules don’t work reliably in this case because there are situations when the land based WiFi is not functioning when the vessel is in one of the areas where WiFi as a WAN is normally available.

Ted

1 Like

Yes. go to the support.cgi page and you see a button for it.

1 Like

Thanks Martin! I knew I had seen it somewhere!

Ted

1 Like

Hi Martin,

I tried this and it turns off the entire AP. We just need to turn off one SSID because the crew still needs to be able to use one secured SSID that utilizes the cellular backhaul when the vessel is underway.

Ted

Ah so what you want is to disable an SSID when a particular WAN has no internet access (because other SSIDs might use other more expensive internet connectivity). That right?

1 Like

Yes that is correct

Ted

Have moved this to feature requests - seems like a good idea to me. +1

4 Likes

upvoting this one as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 from our team also, we have been requested to automate the disabling specific SSIDs when certain WANs are not available (and naturally automate the enabling after WAN has restored).
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 definitely a must have feature addon. Working on a dual channel VSAT with an HD2 and hoping if configured correctly each channel WAN is locked to an individual WiFi SSID. But would appreciate any help…

2 Likes