Data Compression Modems for Cellular Networks (Turning 50GB's into 500GB's)

Data Compression Modems for Cellular Networks

Keeping it simply does anyone know of a Modem that can compress data turning 50GB of Bandwidth into 500GB of Bandwidth? I know how I would do this but it would need a two device system so get this done, but I am see many Companies Promoting 500GB of Bandwidth for around $100 to $175 per month and if any of you know just a small amount of how Cellular Plans work and their Pricing you’d say There is No Possible way any Company can offer 500GB for that Cheap. But, if I lets say own a location that has Internet lets say that will keep it from bottlenecking and either one device per paired link or one device that is able to handle multiply linked connections I could compress data and create a service that uses less data.

Example:

Sending: Customer → Customer Magic Box (requesting internet data) → Cellular Network → Internet → Based Magic Box → Internet
Return: Internet → Base Magic Box (Compresses Data) → Internet → Cellular Network → Customer Magic Box (Uncompress Data)

this is a loop

Sending: Customer → Customer Magic Box (Compress Upload Data) → Cellular Network → Internet → Based Magic Box (Uncompress Data) → Internet
Return: Internet → Base Magic Box (Compresses Data) → Internet → Cellular Network → Customer Magic Box (Uncompress Data)

As far as I understand this must be done on both sides of The Cellular Network otherwise only uploads would be using less bandwidth and most people use more download then upload.

Okay there are a growing amount of companies offer massive Bandwidth and at Crazy Prices does anyone here know if there is hardware that can offer a 10X Compression or anything that does this?

Thanks.

Mark

I think it depends on the comprehensibility of the data. Text files compress very well. Zip files don’t compress at all, assuming the original zip compression is any good.

Encrypted data is probably not compressible at all either because compression relies on there being patterns in the data.

I know that compressing files is not quite the same as compressing a stream on the fly which is probably more difficult.

The LTE reseller business can be a bit dubious but I don’t think they’re doing it with compression. I have a 400 GB plan for $79 per month in my Pepwave Max.

That’s expensive for me here in the UK. I can Buy 1TB of data / month for < $45USD. 650GB for < 30USD in other places its even cheaper.

That said, your idea about compression is of course possible -companies call it WAN Optimisation where they will compress and deduplicate data between two points (take a look at Silver Peak for general WAN Opt).

The trouble is that to compress and decompress data packets on the fly AND perform routing operations too takes loads of hardware resources. So the hardware tends to be big and heavy.

And even then, if you are already sending highly optimised data (like encoded video or compressed / encrypted backups) then as @tetranz says inline compression doesn’t really do anything but adds latency and hardware costs. OpenVPN has LZ4 compression which does quite a good job at not wasting cycles on compressing the uncompressible I understand but I don’t know how much of a difference it makes in real terms.

Other approaches I’ve seen MNVOS take is to DNS filter certain traffic types and then redirect it via transparent proxies / routers that can reduce the available bandwidth per application. This stops netflix or SkyQ from consuming al the bandwidth it has available to it for 4K content delivery for example.

But 10:1 compression on general internet traffic - especially when most of that today is already SSL/TLS encrypted seems like a tough target to meet.

1 Like

That sounds amazing to many of us here in the US. Is that something that a normal retail customer can buy and legitimately put in a device like a Pepwave?

1 Like

Yes it is. Actually those are the more expensive business rates.

An unlimited data only SIM from three UK on a rolling 30day contract retail is £26 / month ($35 USD) inc taxes.

Now nothing is truely unlimited (keep an eye out for fair usage policies) , but I know friends who have done more than 2TB / month for three consecutive months and not had their SIMs cancelled.

1 Like

Tetranz, are you in The U.S.A?
Just for Information my cost for [Data Only] Broadband 125GB is $215.00
So 300GB’s would cost me $688.00 so for me to offer it to you at $79.00 would kill me.

It could be Data Sharing but this would only work if Most used very little Data and some could use the rest of its, but telling people you have 400GB or 500GB Data Cap when you only have 50GB is not something I would ever do.

My [Data Only] Broadband 50GB is $89.00 so even if I did give you 50GB it would cost more then what you pay and this is about what every MVNO has to offer.

MartinLangmaid,

Makes me wish I was an MVNO is The U.K!
Thanks for the info it seems as if I might need to get a custom device made.

Thanks

Mark

1 Like

Yes, I’m in the USA. I don’t know how the resellers work. I’ve read all sorts of speculation and even asked the one I bought from in general terms without expecting him to tell me business secrets but never really got an answer.

I think you’re correct in that some or maybe most are shared plans. I say that because some have words in their TOS like “no hard cap but please keep it below X GB to protect the master account”. I think some of the AT&T plans are just extra lines on business accounts which is potentially problematic because the fine print for those says “not for entertainment purposes”, i.e., not for streaming. I guess that’s why a VPN is useful.

Some resellers in the past were blatantly putting tablet or phone plans in routers, maybe changing the IMEI and then renting the router to the customer with no admin access to the router. I think that caused a big shakeout about a year ago when AT&T cancelled lots of $20 prepaid unlimited iPad plans for abuse. The postpaid version is still available and seems to be the main recommendation on ltehacks.com usually with some “magic” which is the wink and nod word for changing the IMEI to match the iPad the plan was bought for.

T-Mobile recently announced a hotspot plan of 100 GB for $50. Cricket have had 100 GB for $90 for a long time so direct or nearly direct prices do seem to be coming down.

Something has happened in the last week or so because several resellers have sent out notices like this https://gypsywireless.com/new-formal-update/ I might be wrong but I think they’re reselling Boom Mobile because Boom discontinued their hotspot plan with similar words a week or so ago and I know Boom has resellers.

1 Like

First Thanks for The everyones replies!

Yes, I’m in the USA. I don’t know how the resellers work. I’ve read all sorts of speculation and even asked the one I bought from in general terms without expecting him to tell me business secrets but never really got an answer.

Reply: I Offer up too 125 GB and could pair sims to have 500GB or more but 500GB for $100 to $175 is really nuts but I think I found how this might be getting done and its not legal and most likely will be shut down and don’t think illegal like you will go to jail just this service will end.

“AT&T FIXED WIRELESS INTERNET
We bring the
internet out to you
Enjoy a fast and affordable AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet connection.
$49.99/mo. for 12 mos. plus taxes when bundled”
AT&T is waiving all home internet data overage fees in response to the public health crisis. Learn more >

With a VPN you would get faster speeds and for $50 or even $100 you could add sims and get your 500GB’s for $50 to $100 then just add whatever fee you want but that not legal, you must be a 3rd Party or an MVNO but most people might not care as long as they get what they want.

But I would love to get and offer 500GB for $100 to $175 that is extremely cheap.
This website talks about them

More Info:

Rural Option Update: We’re starting to get reports that the Rural plan may have also quietly retired on 2/28/2018. All signs indicate that these plans have been grandfathered. If you have either a 250GB or 500GB plan be very cautious while making any changes on the account - once a rep changes the account, it could be lost forever.

While 50GB/100GB are decently sized data buckets, some folks in rural areas have access to even larger buckets - at nearly the same pricing.

In mid-February of 2017, AT&T began offering even more data on its Wireless Home & Internet Plan in select “rural” markets:

• 250GB for $60/month (+$20/voice) = $80+ taxes
  • 500GB for $100/month (+20/voice) = $120+ taxes

The catch: the 250GB/500GB Rural plans are only available for customers with billing addresses in certain areas (some zip codes in Missouri, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Western PA, South Dakota and Upstate New York).

Some nomads with other addresses had initially been able to activate the plan by finding the right representative - but AT&T’s systems seem to no longer allow this.

Once you have a line active, it will work anywhere that AT&T has coverage - so no need to stay in your ‘rural market.’

We have heard that folks in ‘rural markets’ are still able to get the 250GB plans, but AT&T does not publish where these markets are specifically and information is not readily available outside those markets.

It wouldn’t hurt to investigate a 250GB plan offer in the area of your home/mailing address if you are thinking of hooking yourself up with a Wireless Home Internet plan.

While the pricing on these plans is decent, there are some drawbacks inherent to nomads using the plans.

"* These plans are designed for and packaged with the Wireless Home Internet device (previously Homebase device). The newly released model is a huge improvement over the original Homebase device.

• The Rural (250GB/500GB) are always subject to network management when not on their native (home address) towers. There is no mention of any network management for the Wireless Internet (10GB/50GB/100GB) plans.
  • Domestic roaming is limited to 400MB of data per month. If you exceed that, they may shut down your data access until you are back on one of their towers.
  • These plans do not include any international roaming.
  • Unlike AT&T Mobile Share Advantage plans, these plans do not include any free video streaming on DirecTV Now."

I think you’re correct in that some or maybe most are shared plans. I say that because some have words in their TOS like “no hard cap but please keep it below X GB to protect the master account”. I think some of the AT&T plans are just extra lines on business accounts which is potentially problematic because the fine print for those says “not for entertainment purposes”, i.e., not for streaming. I guess that’s why a VPN is useful.

Reply: “To protect the master account” Yeah that sure sounds like someone is sub-renting lines.

Some resellers in the past were blatantly putting tablet or phone plans in routers, maybe changing the IMEI and then renting the router to the customer with no admin access to the router. I think that caused a big shakeout about a year ago when AT&T cancelled lots of $20 prepaid unlimited iPad plans for abuse. The postpaid version is still available and seems to be the main recommendation on ltehacks.com usually with some “magic” which is the wink and nod word for changing the IMEI to match the iPad the plan was bought for.

Reply: I understand why people do what they do and I want unlimited as well but if someone does this on lets say my MVNO it can crash my company and get into trouble, also I do whatever I can to be honest and clear about what I offer. I hate using Unlimited Data because if after 50GB you go 128 kbps
so slow that you can’t do anything is not Real Unlimited.

T-Mobile recently announced a hotspot plan of 100 GB for $50. Cricket have had 100 GB for $90 for a long time so direct or nearly direct prices do seem to be coming down.

Something has happened in the last week or so because several resellers have sent out notices like this https://gypsywireless.com/new-formal-update/ I might be wrong but I think they’re reselling Boom Mobile because Boom discontinued their hotspot plan with similar words a week or so ago and I know Boom has resellers.

Reply: I offer 3 plans.

[Data Only] Broadband 50GB

My cost
$5.00/$89.00 * TRADITIONAL

For data-only devices such as hotspots and modems. Includes 50GB of 4G and 5G data access. After the 50GB limit is reached, data will be turned off for the remainder of the data cycle with no option to add additional data. Max speed is 8Mbps.

[Data Only] Broadband 75GB
My cost
$5.00/$139.00 * TRADITIONAL

For data-only devices such as hotspots and modems. Includes 75GB of 4G and 5G data access. After the 75GB limit is reached, data will be turned off for the remainder of the data cycle with no option to add additional data. Max speed is 12Mbps.

[Data Only] Broadband 125GB
My cost
$5.00/$215.00 * TRADITIONAL

For data-only devices such as hotspots and modems. Includes 125GB of 4G and 5G data access. After the 125GB limit is reached, data will be turned off for the remainder of the data cycle with no option to add additional data. Max speed is 50Mbps.

Hopefully we will see more Data and lower cost but I am thinking maybe doing some kind of group effort to design Legal Magic Boxes that could turn 50 GB’s in to 500 or as much we possible just would only be for Home Use or The RV Community due too this Magic Box not being small or light.
Something like a Grassroots Project and its plans be free to use in hopes people would use it for the good of others in a time of so much need for lots of Data. I could even do kickstarter as well.

I am an MVNO and soon an MVNA because I love technology and I know others are as well.

Thanks again!

Mark

I don’t think the resellers are selling the “home internet” services that all three carriers have some version of. Those services are often the first suggestion when someone shows up on somewhere like https://www.reddit.com/r/Rural_Internet/ and are probably a good option if your address qualifies but I think it’s geolocked to a relatively small area so they’re not an option for RVers and the like. The reseller for my 400 GB plan didn’t care where I lived. They only wanted my router/modem’s IMEI and the ICCID of an unused SIM.

I obviously don’t understand the business but when I see your costs I don’t know how you sell anything at that cost plus a markup when anyone with a credit card can go to Cricket and get 100 GB for $90 or T-Mobile and get 100 GB for $50. I’m sure you know that Cricket is owned by AT&T so these are not dubious resellers doing weird things. They really are honest legit plans. Of course 100 GB is not enough for most people trying to use it as a home internet connection, especially if they’re streaming TV or Netflix etc so that’s why many people go for a less well defined reseller plan.

Again, you’re not going to find some magic compression to turn 500 GB of encrypted or already compressed data into 50 GB.

That said, a system where multiple people are streaming the same live TV channel on the same cell tower has got to be very wasteful of bandwidth. That’s where good old over the air broadcast TV is very much more efficient. Maybe the carriers could do something at the back haul level if some streams became popular enough. Those multiple viewers don’t need their own stream into the cell site.

1 Like

This is not a bad price but slower Data Speeds, mine right now starts at 8mbps and goes up too 50Mbps and even 100GB at $90.00 is not too hard to understand its the 500 at around $100 that is extremely hard to get.

(1) The Cricket More Plan has 5G access with video streaming at SD quality (about 480p). The Cricket Core Plan’s data speed is limited to 8 Mbps, with video streaming limited to 1.5 Mbps (SD quality, about 480p). Cricket may temporarily slow data speeds if the network is busy for the Cricket Core and Cricket More plans.

This cool! very good price gives me hope we might see it on our end soon! Maybe. But again
if you have a 500GB even with this would cost about $250 per month and would be a really good deal!

(2) Today, the Un-carrier is demonstrating — again — just how powerful its industry-leading 5G network is by launching the industry’s BEST standalone hotspot plans for your connected devices, including an absolutely WILD deal for 100GB of mobile internet data for just $50 .Dec 10, 2020

LIMITED-TIME OFFER

[Get 100GB of 5G data for just $50/month.]
Do more for your business on America’s largest 5G network—with 5G in 8300 cities and towns.
Data only. Capable device required; coverage not available in some areas. During congestion, customers on this plan may notice speeds lower than other customers and further reduction if using >100GB/mo., due to data prioritization. Video typically streams at 480p.

Turning 50GB into 500GB might as well be impossible or a lot of time and money to pull anything close to this but even 4:1 is not bad to have 4 times the bandwidth if its not too costly.

Thanks again for your feedback!

It not clear to me what the official speed is on that Cricket plan. I don’t think it is limited to 8 Mbps. This user on Reddit reports usually about 40 and sometimes 56 so it sounds pretty similar to yours.

Well I’ve heard it was lowered and that a lot of other MVNO’s are set at 3 mbps but either way thats not a bad plan, but it is no 500GB and that is what some are claiming. T-Mobiles plan is way better and I don’t see anything about lowering their speeds. I do need to talk to my new broker soon and see if we have anything like this coming because at our prices right now we can’t compete. I start as an MVNA Jan and hope to have much better plans, but again all of The Cellular Networks can always pulled back and cut everyone off again like what AT&T did with our Unlimited Smartphone plans.

Mark

In the UK a retail customer can put a phone sim in a device like a peplink and it should still work, the carrier might de-prioritize the data still but I believe they’re no longer allowed to stop it.

Three used to have a separate tethering allowance on their phone sims. Until the regulator wrapped their knuckles over it.

£26 isn’t bad if you are an end user although threes network can be hit and miss depending on area. If you needed lots of sims you can probably get 3/o2/Vodafone for around that price. EE might be a tad more but they do have more 4G spectrum so can be faster again though all depends on area.

T-Mobile-Get 100GB of 5G data for just $50/month.

5G: Capable device required; coverage not available in some areas. Some uses may require certain plan or feature; see T-Mobile.com. General Plan Terms: Postpaid only. Credit approval, deposit, $10 SIM card, $20 assisted support, and or $25 SIM Starter charge may be required. Taxes and fees additional (including $0.15/line Monthly Regulatory Programs and $1.01/line Telco Recovery Fee) unless you have a tax-inclusive voice line. Discounts: $5 more per line/mo. without AutoPay (line 1-8 only), and up to $40 more per line/mo. without qualifying voice line. Discounts may not be reflected on 1st bill. Data: High-speed data up to allotment then max 128Kbps speeds. Roaming: U.S. roaming and on-network data allotments differ: includes 200 MB roaming. Partial megabytes rounded up. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming. See account for usage data. Video streaming at up to 1.5Mbps; may affect speed of video downloads. For best performance, leave video streaming applications at default automatic resolution setting. See Internet Services | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services for data management details. During congestion, customers on this plan may notice speeds lower than other customers and further reduction if using >100GB/mo., due to data prioritization. Not available for some devices, and may not be combinable with some offers.

Look at Verizon they offer 40GB at $150.00 thats the world we just came from in Data Only and if you know look at my plans my plans are better, but then you look at 100GB for $50 then even mine seems no good. Am I upset there are better plans? No, because I know that I too will be able to offer a plan that is cheaper in time not sure when but hopefully soon. But Verizon seems to not want to play how low can we go with Data.

I’m not sure where you copied that from but it’s also available here prepaid. I think you can just signup online and a SIM is shipped to you. No credit approval required.

I think it is awesome but far less then 400GB’s or 500GB’s
But, I am happy as a customer myself and as an MVNO and soon an MVNA hopefully I will see plans like that for less money.

2GB of 5G LTE data a month for $10/Line

10GB of 5G LTE data a month for $30/Line

30GB of 5G LTE data a month for $40/Line

100GB of 5G LTE data a month for $50/Line

I was googling and found this:

Again, if you create Zip files and see files that cannot be significantly compressed , it is probably because they already contain compressed data or they are encrypted. If you would like to share a file or some files that do not compress well, you might: Email photos by zipping and resizing them.

And Yes this makes sense.

Now, I have another possible idea. What if we request the videos and photos in a lower resolution then use upscaling for better resolution basically making it think we are using slower data speeds that would need a lower resolution.

Context of Idea:
Dropbox actually transcodes several versions of your video for you with different level of quality. Depending on your internet connection at the time of the request, Dropbox will serve the preview in the most appropriate quality.

I would say most video steaming companies use this and if it lowers the resolution it uses less Cellular Data then it can be upscaled.
If there is away to use less Data then I think it should be tried.

Just an Idea as if people want 500GB to a TB without paying a lot of money something creative has to happen. And I am not talking about Crazy Companies offering Godzilla Data Plans for almost nothing (400 to 500GB) they will most likely only mess everyone up once The NO finds out!

Mark

The carriers are already doing some of that. I know AT&T have so called “stream saver” on some plans. If I go to fast.com (run by Netflix) on my reseller 400 GB plan, it only reports 4.5 Mbps whereas speedtest.net reports anywhere up to about 60 for the same connection. That’s because AT&T is detecting that it’s a video stream and slows it down. I guess Netflix then sees a slow connection and reduces the definition to SD. If I go to Netflix through a VPN such as my FusionHub, I get the full speed and HD video because AT&T no longer sees it as a video stream.