Content Blocklist enhancement request

Better yet - Can we just get the ability to add our own data sources for content blocking?

I’ve been using PiHole and PfBlockerNG at home and found very nice curated lists like https://www.squidblacklist.org It just seems logical to me that that a single purpose professional service with a 100% stake in generating this type of data source as their product is going to be very intent on creating a premium business friendly product.

In addition to that, manipulating these blocklists in shell scripts is tremendously easy to do. I can’t see any business getting much benefit from the black box blocklists presented in Peplink. Open it up to custom data sources though and this becomes a very useful feature.

Going a little further - some reporting built into the UI on at least top domains that were blocked by the ruleset would also be huge. Not just for curiosity sake, if a list intended to block malicious domains suddenly has an unusual amount of blocking activity reported this is
yet another area to add easy visibility into harmful behavior on the network. And one thing that Peplink has done for me is make harmful traffic surprisingly visible through simply offering an easy high level view. This kind of reporting on custom blocklist activity would enhance that aspect of the product.

Not harshing on Peplink at all here, love the gear, and I appreciate the blocklist feature as a first attempt, but it looks to me like there is low hanging fruit here to expose this feature in a way that really enhances the product.

3 Likes

Nudging this, because I’d like to see this happen, too. I appreciate the blocklist feature, but I prefer to be in control of my own blocklist, rather than someone else’s application of arbitrary categories.

Also not harshing on Peplink here, I just this is an opportunity to really expand on the usability of these devices.

3 Likes