Concurrent Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPN tunnels between the same sites

Available from firmware version 8.0

Introduction

The ability to create up to 5 SpeedFusion tunnels between the same 2 sites has been around since the introduction of firmware 7.0 .
But it wasn’t possible to create a combination of Layer 2 and Layer 3 tunnels until now.

From firmware 8.0 and up you can select one sub-tunnel to bridge to a tagged VLAN (Layer 2), and other sub-tunnels can still work in Layer 3 mode.
These connections work independently giving you the power of Layer 2 bridging and Layer 3 routing at the same time!

How to configure

Follow the steps to create multiple tunnels between your sites as described in this knowledgebase article.

After the tunnels have been configured, navigate to Network > Lan to define a layer2 bridging based PepVPN as described in this knowledgebase article.

5 Likes

Hello,

I tried creating a L2-L3 tunnel between a balance and BR1 M2M as well as Transit but the point #5 of Setting up a Layer 2 PepVPN Profile in Firmware 6.2 Onwards is a problem. The list is empty. On the Balance, no issue I can see my two sub tunnels in the list. On the other devices, I don’t see any subtunnel in the list.

In full Layer3 with no layer2 defined on balance, all subtunnels come up. So this configuration seems to be fine.

Transit is in 8.0.0 build 4192
BR1 is in 8.0.0 build 3440

Kr,

1 Like

@Venn

The layer 2 bridging sub-tunnel only able to bridge to single VLAN not the untagged VLAN. You should able to find the sub-tunnel list in the VLAN bridging settings:

1 Like

:frowning:

So you need to save first to create it and then reopen it for configuration…

You need to bridge the L2 at VLAN , not the untagged VLAN (default LAN).

1 Like

Yes indeed. But you need to fully create the vlan first and then come back to it to associate the tunnel for Layer2.

You can’t do all in one operation, the list is empty. It is only a small user exeprience issue nothing bad.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hi @sitloongs

are you planning to support outbound policy for the PepVPN when the tunnel is a combination of Layer 2 and Layer 3 sub-tunnels?
Currently, we can either set sub-tunnels in L2 mode or create outbound policy rules for the sub-tunnels. I’d like to use both of these functions.

This can be useful when we have 3 or more different sub-profiles:

• L2 for AP controller
  • L3 for data
  • L3 for audio with WAN Smoothing enabled

I would use outbound policy with DPI to steer voice traffic to the dedicated sub-tunnel. The rest of the traffic would go through standard L3 tunnel and AP Management through L2 profile.

@JakubN, you should able to enforce the traffic to specific layer 3 sub-tunnel using outbound policy even layer 2 and layer 3 sub-tunnels are running at the same time.

May I know the layer 3 sub-tunnel does not appear in the outbound policy drop-down list after layer 2 and layer 3 sub-tunnels are configured? Possible to provide the screenshot of your settings?

1 Like

Sure, please see the screens below:

1. If we create a PepVPN tunnel with multiple sub-tunnels

2. …and outbound policy with DPI Traffic Steering is created,

3. we can’t assign a VLAN to the L2 tunnel. The VPN we have just created is not listed in the drop down list (To_FH is a different VPN profile).

It works both ways:

1. If we assign a VLAN to one of the PepVPN sub-tunnels (no outbound rules applied yet),

2. and want to create outbound rules for the remaining L3 tunnels, the sub-tunnels are not listed in the drop-down list.

1 Like

@JakubN, I am seeing some differences from my MFA500. I am using 8.1.0b02. Can you share which model and firmware version you used? Let me show you my settings.

1. Create a SpeedFusion profile with 3 sub-tunnels

Configure outbound policy then enable Layer 2 SpeedFusion

1. 3 sub-tunnels appear in my DPI Steering outbound rule. I choose 2nd (Audio) sub-tunnel.

1. The 3rd (Video) sub-tunnel appears when I enable Layer 2 SpeedFusion in VLAN 53. Please take note, we can’t enable in the 1st (Data) sub-tunnel as it used for route exchange for Layer 3 SpeedFusion.

Enable Layer 2 SpeedFusion then configure outbound policy

1. 3 sub-tunnels appear when I enable Layer 2 SpeedFusion in VLAN 53. Please take note, we can’t enable in the 1st (Data) sub-tunnel as it used for route exchange for Layer 3 SpeedFusion. So, I choose the 3rd (Video) sub-tunnel.

1. Layer 2 SpeedFusion enabled in VLAN 53.

1. 3 sub-tunnels appear in my DPI Steering outbound rule. I choose 2nd (Audio) sub-tunnel.

1 Like

Hi @TK_Liew,

the screens I shared come from MBX with fw: 8.0.2 build 1409
I tried these settings again on a UBR Rugged with 8.0.2s013 build 4417 and it works just like on your device. It must be a firmware thing.

@JakubN, my MBX, firmware 8.0.2 is having the same behavior with MFA500. So, it is working fine. I suggest opening a ticket for me to take a closer look.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

as we’ve tested with 8.1.0 it is a must, to create the L3 Tunnel as first Sub-Tunnel. If the L2 is the first, every routing information for the L3 will be routed through the L2 and can’t connect.

This is important for everyone with the same issue :wink:

Question:
Is it possible to bring the Management-LAN-Interface of e.g. a SDX in a VLAN (for L2 Tunnel)? If yes, how to do it?

Thanks
Dennis

2 Likes

@dennis.hofheinz, you are correct. The default sub-tunnel (first sub-tunnel) will be used for route exchange between central and remote sites if you configure layer 2 + layer 3.

The management port is for device management purposes. Hence, you can’t make use of it in the layer 2 SpeedFusion tunnel.

2 Likes