Can I tether an Android phone to a Peplink router?

Yes you can.

You can share your Android smartphone’s Internet (cellular) connection with a Peplink Pepwave router using USB tethering (wired).

If you’re looking to tether wirelessly, then here’s a related article: Setting up simultaneous Wi-Fi as WAN and Wi-Fi AP

Pre-requisites:
Android smartphone running version 4.1.x or above
A USB cable suitable for your Android smartphone

On your Android smartphone, head to Settings, then in the Wlreless & networks section > More, find Tethering & portable hotspot. Make sure your USB cable is connected from phone to router, then tap to activate USB tethering.

Watch 3Gstore demonstrate USB tethering:

Note: iPhone tethering is not supported at the moment due to lack of open APIs.

2 Likes

Will the USB port recharge the Android device at the same time?

1 Like

Good question! And yes it does.

2 Likes

ik this is an old thread but is iPhone tethering now supported?

no its not.

If your Peplink device supports wifi WAN you can turn on wifi hotspot on your phone and connect to it that way instead.

1 Like

FYI. I tried this with a second generation Surf SOHO and firmware 7.1.2. Phone was running Android 10 with patches up to Aug. 2020. It worked for a minute. Literally. Just as I finished verifying on a router client device that the public IP address had changed, I lost LAN side access to the router. When I turned off USB tethering on the phone, and disconnected the phone from the router, LAN side access to the router returned. For what its worth.

1 Like