Built In Speed Test

Couldn’t pep guys add this to the sys tools allowing kpnqwest or okla? I guess half of the clients here are not Pep-to-Pep…

1 Like

This Feature is great, can not wait to download and try beta to see it’s functionality.
:sunglasses:

This is great! +1 on the Okla! But good start!

No news for non Pep-to-Pep clients? Don’t know what Nix flavour is Peplink fw running on but couldn’t you just allow running scripts or grab a bash script such as this one?

In theory the PEP to PEP is a great idea but I am definitely not using one of my clients production units as a server and my office connectivity isn’t fast enough to be a good server. It would be great if there was a test unit sitting behind a fat pipe that could be securely used for a testing server or a way for us to setup an AWS “server” for this.

I’ll say it again, why not just build in the Peplink Broadband-Speed-Test utility which can utilize Apple, Google, and Microsoft servers or custom URL’s? That way you don’t need a dedicated Peplink device on the server end. This is a great utility that can’t easily be fudged to make sites like Ookla look falsely fast!

https://download.peplink.com/files/Broadband%20Speed%20Test%20v3.1.exe

Scroll down on this link to see it referenced: Combining the bandwidth of all WAN links. 3M + 3M = 6M?

You can setup a FusionHub on AWS with the Solo license. Use the same WAN Analysis “As a server”. Then you have your speedtest server via the WAN Analysis tool.

6 Likes

I never knew any of that THANKS!

1 Like

No Solo licence over here :frowning:
Any other idea?

2 Likes

Why not support a site like speedtest.com or any other URL based with an embedded lite browser? Sorry, but part of what I want to test is the Balance 2500 connection. We have a strange issue where our client units are getting vastly different speed tests with download being a fraction of what our upload speeds are through SpeedFusion.

1 Like

You can set up a FusionHub at a data centre anywhere in the world very quickly.

1 Like

FusionHub solo is free but your cloud infrastructure where it’s deployed isn’t.

I haven’t looked at te install requirements but I assume requires a Linux VM of some kind.

So using this to run automated speed tests would also incur bandwidth charges from your cloud provider depending which tier and plan your using.

I guess this is also only useful for connections less than 100mbps.

Anyone running this in the cloud and could give an idea on costs?

Fusionhub Solo at vultr.com $5/month with 1TB of bandwidth allowance. Not sure what speed connections they provide but I have ~400Mbps at home and it lets me pull that:

5 Likes

Hmm… that is an incredible deal. Seems an Azure basic Linux VM with 1TB monthly bw is $103 USD unless i didn’t input the right values in their pricing calculator.

Just to build on the experience of @MartinLangmaid, here’s a speedtest from my office (1 Gbps fiber - my ISP) to a vultr fusionhub solo node:

It works :slight_smile:

Z

3 Likes

In the “why not” category of things:

I have deployed a fusionhub solo instance on a vultr.com farm in Silicon Valley and set it to respond to peplink speedtests. I’ll let it run for a bit for all to enjoy.

I have seen it deliver 900+ Mbps download speed.

The address is 144.202.99.195 (speedtest.apeskrekk.com).

Enjoy

Z.

5 Likes

You can also run the WAN Analyser between FusionHubs in different data centres!
I have seen 5Gbps between a FusionHub in London and a FusionHub in Paris. Both FusionHubs where with different cloud providers and small instances with 2Gb of RAM.

1 Like

I have a Vultr instance of Fusionhub as well. What do you mean when you say you ‘set it to respond to peplink speedtests’? Do you mean that you logged into your Fusionhub server and set WAN Analyzer to act as a Server? Or is there something else I should know? Thanks.

I use Vultr’s ability to download large files a lot. I often initiate several downloads in order to see if the servers or Peplink client scales based on traffic. The Peplink Max Transit is ALWAYS the bottleneck since the CPU isn’t very powerful. 100Mpbs (not) without encryption, 60Mbps with encryption. There is tons of degradation on the CPU if the router has to maintain the tunnels. I set the Fusionhub to Server and the Peplink router to Client, then run WAN Analyzer to see the bandwidth stats while downloading the large files from here Vultr Looking Glass, here: