Balance one not connecting to cable modem

I’m having problems getting my balance one to connect to my cable modem. I did not expect to have this problem so early in the setup process.

Any suggestions on what to try will be appreciated.

Hi. Which cable model are you using? Make and model?

Netgear CM600

Hi @egwolfjr,

Did you purchase the Balance One second hand or is this a new product? If it is second hand, the previous owner may have left their WAN settings on the device. Therefore, I would recommend a factory reset - hold the reset button in for 15-20 seconds.

Steve

1 Like

it was a new unit. But I will try that.

As discussed in other threads, we’ve bad a lot of trouble with Motorola/Arris cable modems “talking” to the WAN ports on Peplink routers. However, the CM600 is one that seems to have worked fine.

1 Like

Should I power off the cable modem and router. Then power on the modem, waiting for it to acquire signal and settle down, then power on the router? I find myself doing that but if that is the wrong sequence let me know.

Hi @egwolfjr,

Assuming your Netgear CM600 is distributing IP addresses in the range 192.168.100.0/24 (as default), then your Balance One should have an IP address in that range. Your Balance One should have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 and devices you connect to the LAN would be 192.168.1.0/24

However, if the Netgear’s default settings were changed to 192.168.1.0/24 then this may be the cause, as the WAN should be on a different sub-net to the LAN on the Balance One.

As you able to share the Dashboard image of your Balance One here?

Steve

1 Like

Steve,

I can share a Dashboard image but it will be this evening. I can test what IP address the CM600 is sharing by connecting a PC directly to the cable modem. I’ll report that information as well.

Here’s the Dashboard image…

The CM600 is serving out 192.1l68.100.0/24

That looks like the Balance is connected to the modem, but your modem is not connecting to the internet provider. I would suggest connecting a computer directly to the modem to test.

1 Like

I have done that and it connects when directly connecting to the modem. It will not when I connect to the B1

I just reset the B1 and still nothing.

i’m presently connect directly to the CM600. IP 209.33.81.0/24 and all is well on the PC

After moving the cable back to wan1, the pc reports and ip address of 192.168.1.10

Try changing:

Network > WAN > Interface name > Physical Interface Speed to 100M full duplex

You may also have to try un-checking “advertise speed” or not, with the 100M speed.

1 Like

I’ve tried both checking and unchecking “advertise speed” with no success. the wan 1 status just sez connecting and the wheel spins

I stumbled on to a “fix”. I set the mac address clone to the mac address of a machine on my network… and yes it works… not sure why. If someone can explain it to me I’d love to learn why

1 Like

When I connect the second ISP, will I have to apply the same “fix”?

FYI,

Most ISP’s will only allow the Cable Modem to provide one IP address, so they bind to a MAC address. I can’t explain why it bound to a MAC address of a particular machine in your network.

But I would suggest removing the cloned MAC address on the balance one, and powering off the cable modem for a few seconds, and trying again.

Regards

Steve

2 Likes