Balance 305 throughput PPPOE

I recently bought a Balance 305 HW2 for the 1Gb throughput. After hooking it up and setting up my WAN port, I was disappointed by the speeds I was getting.

I am subscribed to a 1Gb fiber connection and I have confirmed that I get (~850Mb down / ~850Mb up) with a Balance 710. (PPPOE)

Using the Balance 305, I only get ~300Mb down / ~800Mb up (PPPOE)

I am not sure if this is a PPPOE limitation.

Any thoughts or solutions??

Thanks,
Manny

1 Like

Same here
It look like ALL Balance slow down when connect to PPPoE
My Balance One only get around 150Mbps MAX
and My Balance 305 HW2 only get around 300Mb as you mention
with those speed Balance CPU will hit 100%
and everything going to slowdown

I have gotten assurances that the upcoming firmware addresses this issue.

Looking forward to it.

still get 100% on 8.0.1 build 2681
Using PPPoE on Chinese router that ISP give me , Then use static IP/DHCP on Peplink work faster

@polppol

May i know the speeds that you get ?

1 Like

Hi Same like in case.The customer used Peplink Balance One & Balance One Core If connected with Mode DHCP or static IP throughtput based on ISP but Connected with mode PPoE it’s many lose of speed bandwidth see details as attached file

WAN 1 : 200/100Mbps
WAN 2 : 200/100Mbps
WAN 3 : 200/200Mbps

CPU will hit 100% arround 250Mbps if WAN are using PPPoE

but it work just fine if I switch all connection to DHCP/Static

I think this problem was report multiple time by multiple people
since very long time ago but never get fixed:

and my case : Peplink #9030140
I use it with Balance One Rev1, Rev3 and Balance 305 all same problem

2 Likes

1 PPoE Connection + 2 DHCP ( Weighted Balance 6:8:8) Max around 500Mbps of total BW

1 PPoE Connection + 1 DHCP ( Weighted Balance 5:5)

2 DHCP - (MAX out BW)

PS. very similar result with 8.0.0 and 8.0.1-build2684

@polppol and @wannas

I believe both of you referring to the same ticket opened for 9030140. I have go through the long ticket and i believe support team have tried to help isolate the potential influences that may causing the high CPU utilization. If you check back the performance that you get, it’s really inconsistent.

Previously you only have less than 500Mbps WAN links and the device still running fine more than 30 days ++ under monitoring by support team and the ticket have been closed.

Base on the information given above, look like you have upgraded the WANs to 1Gbps and i believe support team have left a note to you if you upgrade the WANs link, in anytime support team can help revisit the issue by further investigate the influences that may cause the device running in high CPU utilization. Please open a new ticket for this and refer the old ticket number in the ticket and support team will help investigate on this.

1 Like