AT&T Unlimited Not Working on BR1 Max Pro 5G

I just purchased an unlimited prepaid plan from AT&T and as my back-up service. My primary SIM is prepaid plan T-Mobile 50gb and works great as primary. Pepwave will recognize the T-Mobile on the Dashboard; however it does not recognize the AT&T SIM. I also tried making my AT&T SIM as the primary and it just kept spinning.

I’ve confirmed the AT&T SIM works by placing it in my old iPhone and was able to receive and send text, so SIM is activated.

Is anyone having the same issue with the AT&T unlimited on the BR1 Max Pro 5G?

Regards,

Technically Challenged

What AT&T prepaid unlimited plan?

I took the $50 unlimited. . .

thats a phone plan, not a hotspot/data plan…

Ah, got it - still trying to get the hang of this.

Thank you

Ah, got it - still trying to get the hang of this.

Thank you

So I went back to ATT and purchased a 50G data and hotspot plan. When installed, the Wan Connection status just keeps spinning on Connecting, and finally connected after 1 hour. Now it won’t detect my T-Mobile?

Three suggestions:
(1) Ask the seller what the APN should be
(2) If you don’t get a response from the seller try “broadband”
(3) If neither of the preceding ideas work call their tech support folks.

So I went back to ATT and purchased a 50G data and hotspot plan. When installed, the Wan Connection status just keeps spinning on Connecting, and finally connected after 1 hour. Now it won’t detect my

Is there a possible way to discuss together. I don’t think it’s a APN or Cellular Carrier issue. When I pulled out the AT&T SIM, it took some time but the router automatically detected the T-Mobile SIM. However the AT&T SIM was no longer detected correctly and configurable.

I did the reverse and the same outcome AT&T fired up and T-Mobile was not no longer detected correctly.

Sure, I’ll be pleased to talk with you about this. I’ll PM you my contact information. - Rick

Just a thought. Has the OP upgraded to the latest firmware? While I do not have the 5G version of this device, I had troubles connecting to AT&T until I upgraded the firmware. After updating the firmware, AT&T connected with AUTO & then assigned the APN.
Have not read the entire set of postings. If this has been covered already, please accept my apologies.

I’m in the same boat with ATT Unlimited, and about to change over to 50 GB data only card after much back and forth with hot spot too card that I was told would work with my Pepwave before placing the order with att, and they took device numbers assuring me it woul work…. Now, they assure me the 50 GB plan is the way to go, but do ”they” on att help care if settings on Pepwave with other cards is glitchy?

Mike,
Several months ago I upgraded to a MAX BR1 with the CAT-20 modem, but with only a 4G modem.
I removed my AT&T & Verizon SIMs from the older unit & placed them in the new device. The AT&T SIM displayed basically the same symptoms described by the OP. This was about the time AT&T shut down all the 3G stuff. Upgrading the firmware resolved the issue with AT&T and the SIM auto negotiated the APN. That is why I responded with the question about firmware.
In setting up these devices, I have found it prudent to accomplish the initial setup & configuration with a PC attached to the devices via an Ethernet cable.
Getting any sort of technical assistance from AT&T or any of the other carrier’s 1st level support, IMHO it is a ‘crap shoot’ at best.

1 Like

I like the idea of direct connect with ethernet and will try. I’ll make sure my firmware is up-to-date - I’ll keep everyone posted. Agreed with the cellular tech support, level one knowledge, anything else is inviting wasted time and frustration.

To date; Verizon will not allow my device with my IMEI (both postpaid and prepaid). AT&T is clunky when connecting and only connects when my T-Mobile SIM is disconnected, same for T-Mobile; however T-Mobile connected immediately with no issues and they didn’t require me to provide my IMEI number. T-Mobile has been the consistently best carrier in performance and connectivity for me.

Tuan,
Another shared experience, this one with Verizon. As a point of reference, I use them as my cellular phone carrier.
For many years, I had a Sierra Wireless cellular modem in my PC with a data only plan.
When I bought my 1st Peplink device (some years ago), the device was not yet certified for use on the Verizon network. By putting the Verizon SIM which was in the PC into the Peplink device, I was able to establish a cellular connection with Verizon. It displayed as something other than a Peplink device on the UI.
In looking at other forums (primarily RV related) it appears if you have a data device already activated on the Verizon network, you can take the SIM from that device, insert it into a new Peplink device(even though not yet certified for use on the Verizon network) and in many cases it will work. Your mileage may vary.

https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx
https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/device-showcase

The two links above reflect the devices certified for use on the AT&T network & the Verizon network. You may find this information useful when you encounter the ‘We don’t support that product’ response.
Wishing you success in getting your Peplink device on line.

1 Like

Great suggestion, I convinced the Verizon Rep to use the IMEI of one of his Jetpack devices in the store to register and activate the SIM. Took the SIM Card home and popped it into the Peplink modem and it worked. I’ve concluded that T-Mobile and AT&T performs alot better than the Verizon.

Latest Firmware and direct Ethernet hook-up did not resolve my issue. Only 1 SIM Card can be detected at a time, regardless if both SIM bays having SIM cards. However, when I ran out of my T-Mobile data plan, it did failover to my AT&T automatically.

:camera:
Tuan_Nguyen4067
2 hours ago
Great suggestion, I convinced the Verizon Rep to use the IMEI of one of his Jetpack devices in the store to register and activate the SIM. Took the SIM Card home and popped it into the Peplink modem and it worked. I’ve concluded that T-Mobile and AT&T performs alot better than the Verizon.

Just an observation using only 4G from Verizon & AT&T over the years. As a general rule, I found AT&T was faster than Verizon with 4 band frequently aggregated. In my travels (not so much lately), I found Verizon typically had better coverage. I never say band aggregation greater than 3 with Verizon.
So much is dependent on what your carrier provides at any given location.
Glad to hear your device is simulating proper operation.

This is a single cellular device. Both SIM cards can be inserted into the device, but it can only achieve an active connection from 1 provider. When your T-Mobile data ran out and it failed over to ATT, thats exactly what its supposed to do.

If you click on the “Details” of your Cellular WAN connection you should see information for both SIM A and SIM B, but due to the single cellular module, only one SIM will be active at a time. If you need 2 active SIM’s you will need to upgrade to a different Peplink device.

1 Like