AT&T issues with Max Transit Cat 18

If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then why are you posting?

Not only that, you didn’t even read the post. Do you just want to argue?

If you had read the post, you would have seen they moved me to a $75 / 15gig plan without my consent. If they had just shut the $20 tablet plan off, I wouldn’t have had an issue.

As a suggestion. try and understand the technical reverse engineering a lot of us enjoy and avoid posts like you just made.

Are you sure you didn’t consent? I thought I read the contract and it said they can move you to a suitable plan for the device type? Or have they removed that language?

That language is still there:

If we determine that you are using your Device without the correct rate plan, we reserve the right to switch you to the required rate plan and charge you the appropriate monthly charges and fees.

This is the first case I’ve heard of it happening but I think lot of people abusing the $20 tablet plan could be in for a shock. It won’t be quite as bad now as it was when the best hotspot price was something like 40 GB for $75. Now you can get 100 GB for $55.

Of course the real abusers change the modem’s IMEI to look like a tablet as is blatantly recommended on certain Facebook Groups. People brag about doing many hundreds of GB for $20. I wonder if the “all you can eat” $20 party is going to come to an end some time especially now that there is a somewhat more reasonable alternative.

It’s kind of weird that the hotspot plans like the 100 GB for $55 are advertised for “hotspots and tablets” but they also sell “Unlimited for tablet” for $20. The unlimited plan is almost a secret. You need to know what to ask for etc and some of the reps don’t know about it. Even if you go through the motions of buying a tablet from AT&T, they don’t offer the $20 unlimited plan. I suspect it is something they’d like to get rid of.

Thanks, thats what I thought, so they had consent. I always read agreements before I enter into. I have seen some interesting stuff in cell phone agreements.

i run my mobley plan in the cat-18 since it’s a hotspot plan, it under performs vs the cat12. post paid tablet sim will work, pre-paid does imei check, post paid may already do this.

Mobley is a very special plan. The agreement originally said it could be used in any hotspot device. I wonder if it still does? Curious why it underperforms though?

the plan has long since retired, i’m holding on to it along with my mobile citizen plan and balancing them. i have no idea why the cat-18 won’t perform, i have excellent signal, i tried different band combinations and just can’t understand.

Have you opened a ticket with Peplink to get more info? I was going to buy a cat12 or cat18 so curuous. Are you saying the Mobley SIM performs worse in CAT18 than CAT12 or you just don’t see higher speeds/performance in the CAT18?

i get 80 down, 15 up with cat-12, with the cat-18 i get 20 down, 15 up. i haven’t opened a ticket, i got rid of the cat18. It does get 4CA and CA on upload, but it didn’t matter.

Very interesting. Curious as to what is going on.

i just bought a max tran cat 18 for my rv. i’m a newbee but ok technically. i went to att via phone and the store and was told " we have no data plan that gives you a data only sim for your own router, the best we have is a nighthawk HS but the IMEI must be attached to it, it cannot be used on your own.’ I then asked “OK, money is no issue, what data only plan with portable sim can you sell me that lets me legally put the sim card in my certified router?” answer…none… so my question is this WTF! What do i need to ask for, what plan as i thought the 100gig for $55 was perfect. So i’m either not asking correctly or i’m missing something. Please help, heading put for a long roadtrip with nothing but an iphone…next verizon as that will be my backup…

I’m pretty sure that 100 GB for $55 should be good for this.

Perhaps point them to this. Scroll down and say “Can I buy this?”

I gave up on ATT, just got them to refund everything and cancel my line.

I am sticking with V and Tmo. No issues with those yet.

I have been able to get the prepaid AT&T $55 for 100GB SIM to work in the MAX Transit Cat-18. I gave them the IMEI for the MAX Transit and it was approved. Speeds have not been great, though. No carrier aggregation with AT&T. Verizon is faster and T-Mobile ($50 prepaid plan) is much faster.
I also tried the same SIM in the MAX Transit 5G paired with a PUMA-401. AT&T did not work at all. Both Verizon and T-Mobile worked on both 4G and 5G with very decent speeds (150MB+) in the marina on T-Mobile 5G.

I purchased 2 of the prepaid 100GB for $55 SIMs with AT&T yesterday - in store. Showed the ad as suggested by tetranz to be sure the employee was clear on what I was buying.

I have a Max Transit DUO Cat 12. Have a pair of Verizon 30GB hotspot SIMs I have been using, along with a single “subscription based” unlimited AT&T SIM (Which quick working last week, tried without success to get support with provider, no luck so cancelled and moved on – I am done with the “subscriber based” unlimited SIM’s from shady resellers).

I provided the ATT store employee both of my IMEI’s, he activated 2 SIMS, paid my money and was out in about 15 minutes total.

Dropped the ATT SIM’s into my MAX Transit, they came right up, no issues. Getting expected speeds up and down based on my location.

Result 200GB monthly for $110 with ATT - good for me and feel like it is going to better that chasing losing time/money with “resellers” killing SIM’s randomly.

4 Likes

Great news that it’s working.

I wonder what the reason is that you have to visit a physical store to buy this specific plan? (we don’t have one locally even though we have an att tower… thinking whether it’s worth a day to get one or whether I’ll wait and see if you can order it online in the future…)

I don’t know but it irritates greatly that I can’t simply buy it online.

1 Like

A quick update. I installed the AT&T prepaid SIM that worked in the MAX Transit Cat-18 in the MAX Transit 5G again and this time it worked on 4G. Even got LTE-A. No 5G though but that might be because I am not close enough to an AT&T 5G cell tower.

1 Like

I was wrong – as of today, I was able to signup online at

If you have a new unused ATT Prepaid SIM or order one online, you can use that SIM and follow the above link and set payment and create your prepaid account.

I just signed up with the Max Transit Cat 18 with no issues for the ATT Prepaid 100 GB plan. Very happy! Thank you ATT!

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks. I’ll give it a go.