AT&T issues with Max Transit Cat 18

i get 80 down, 15 up with cat-12, with the cat-18 i get 20 down, 15 up. i haven’t opened a ticket, i got rid of the cat18. It does get 4CA and CA on upload, but it didn’t matter.

Very interesting. Curious as to what is going on.

i just bought a max tran cat 18 for my rv. i’m a newbee but ok technically. i went to att via phone and the store and was told " we have no data plan that gives you a data only sim for your own router, the best we have is a nighthawk HS but the IMEI must be attached to it, it cannot be used on your own.’ I then asked “OK, money is no issue, what data only plan with portable sim can you sell me that lets me legally put the sim card in my certified router?” answer…none… so my question is this WTF! What do i need to ask for, what plan as i thought the 100gig for $55 was perfect. So i’m either not asking correctly or i’m missing something. Please help, heading put for a long roadtrip with nothing but an iphone…next verizon as that will be my backup…

I’m pretty sure that 100 GB for $55 should be good for this.

Perhaps point them to this. Scroll down and say “Can I buy this?”

I gave up on ATT, just got them to refund everything and cancel my line.

I am sticking with V and Tmo. No issues with those yet.

I have been able to get the prepaid AT&T $55 for 100GB SIM to work in the MAX Transit Cat-18. I gave them the IMEI for the MAX Transit and it was approved. Speeds have not been great, though. No carrier aggregation with AT&T. Verizon is faster and T-Mobile ($50 prepaid plan) is much faster.
I also tried the same SIM in the MAX Transit 5G paired with a PUMA-401. AT&T did not work at all. Both Verizon and T-Mobile worked on both 4G and 5G with very decent speeds (150MB+) in the marina on T-Mobile 5G.

I purchased 2 of the prepaid 100GB for $55 SIMs with AT&T yesterday - in store. Showed the ad as suggested by tetranz to be sure the employee was clear on what I was buying.

I have a Max Transit DUO Cat 12. Have a pair of Verizon 30GB hotspot SIMs I have been using, along with a single “subscription based” unlimited AT&T SIM (Which quick working last week, tried without success to get support with provider, no luck so cancelled and moved on – I am done with the “subscriber based” unlimited SIM’s from shady resellers).

I provided the ATT store employee both of my IMEI’s, he activated 2 SIMS, paid my money and was out in about 15 minutes total.

Dropped the ATT SIM’s into my MAX Transit, they came right up, no issues. Getting expected speeds up and down based on my location.

Result 200GB monthly for $110 with ATT - good for me and feel like it is going to better that chasing losing time/money with “resellers” killing SIM’s randomly.

4 Likes

Great news that it’s working.

I wonder what the reason is that you have to visit a physical store to buy this specific plan? (we don’t have one locally even though we have an att tower… thinking whether it’s worth a day to get one or whether I’ll wait and see if you can order it online in the future…)

I don’t know but it irritates greatly that I can’t simply buy it online.

1 Like

A quick update. I installed the AT&T prepaid SIM that worked in the MAX Transit Cat-18 in the MAX Transit 5G again and this time it worked on 4G. Even got LTE-A. No 5G though but that might be because I am not close enough to an AT&T 5G cell tower.

1 Like

I was wrong – as of today, I was able to signup online at

If you have a new unused ATT Prepaid SIM or order one online, you can use that SIM and follow the above link and set payment and create your prepaid account.

I just signed up with the Max Transit Cat 18 with no issues for the ATT Prepaid 100 GB plan. Very happy! Thank you ATT!

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks. I’ll give it a go.

@rvdougMM I just tried my AT&T Sim in transit 5g, Still not connecting, keeps resetting. I also have not received an update on my support ticket saying the transit 5G has been certified.

Well of course a couple of days after posting this, I get an error with the MT 5G and AT&T SIM that there is no data plan associated with the SIM card. It connects but no data. I put it back into a MT CAT-18 and it would only connect with 3G. I updated the associated IMEI at https://www.paygonline.com/websc/simupdate.html and it is working ok again with the MT CAT 18. I’ll try it again in the MT 5G and let you know if it works again.
AT&T is not yet certified on MT 5G as far as I know. The last I heard, T-Mobile will be the first certified carrier and that should happen in the next few weeks. The T-Mobile SIM worked right away in the MT 5G and connected without issue to the T-Mobile 5G network.
Also, AT&T have two different SKUs for 5G SIMs. SKU 6533C is the one that worked for me. SKU 6818B (also labelled 5G) did not work on either device.

@rvdougMM FYI, I have a tmobile SIM in the transit 5g, It is already connecting to 5G.

I have a Prepaid T-Mobile 100GB plan that was originally in an Enseego hotspot; now in the Max Transit 5G. I called T-Mobile before I switched it to be sure they were OK with the switch; the rep said they did not need anything on their end unless it would not connect. Well it would not connect so I did a Firmware upgrade (did the wrong one at first but thanks to the Forum got the correct one to install). I a now connected to T-Mobile 5G through the Pepwave on n71.

3 Likes

I tried using the form at https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html for my Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 and …

That’s very frustrating. I was looking forward to actually using it with a legitimate plan. I wonder if it would be different if I visit a store.

Good news. I called the local store. They said to come in with a photo of the IMEI so I came in with a screen shot of the admin. I walked out with a SIM, put it in and it’s working very well. :smile:

The guy said that the only reason why the online form would reject the IMEI is if it’s a 3G device which is obviously not true but whatever … I’m happy.

3 Likes

Which plan did you get?

Prepaid 100 GB for $55.

Scroll down to “Power your tablet and hotspot with 5G”