AT&T / Cricket Wireless Max Transit Duo

Hi
Cricket has suspended my Transit Duo MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA-R-T-PRM
After some hours of hold and eventually finding a network engineer it appears that AT&T / Cricket believes that the Max Trnsit Duo is a 3G device and has suspended my device from its network on the basis that it contains a Sierra Wireless EM7511U (I think I wrote that down correctly).
Is this something that Peplink can help resolve?
David

I am having the same issue with a brand new MAX BR1 MK2. Look up the IMEI Nr. and it shows up as a Sierra unit, and AT&T will not work on it. I don’t get it.

Playing devils advocate, does Cricket wireless support other Peplink devices? I’d be surprised for them to support enterprise grade devices on their plans but I could be mistaken. They might be using 3g as an excuse to rid their network of enterprise routers. Or they are simply misinformed but don’t officially support any way so it will be an uphill loosing battle.

Here is a big thread on the topic: Cricket wireless data only plan with pepwave?

Would encourage you to open a service ticket with Peplink on this one.
While I am not using a Cricket plan, I am using an AT&T plan in my Peplink device (different model with CAT-20 modem). I raised the question about AT&T shutting down 3G on 2/22/2022 with my provider & a possible impact.
While no one except the provider can really be sure of what they are going to do or not do, I was advised it probably would not happen (service shut down on my device).
Good luck.

Something changed with Cricket about six months ago. My Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 used to be compatible according to their IMEI checker until that change.

@mystery I don’t really understand what you mean by “enterprise grade device”. I don’t know what modems the other models have but the MAX BR1 MK2 contains a Sierra Wireless MC-7455. That’s what the carriers see it as. It doesn’t matter if it’s a high quality Pepwave or something someone has build by soldering some wires to a modem and put it in plastic lunchbox. There is no “enterprise” flag.

Most carriers do not want routers on their consumer plans. The peplink is a cellular router/business/enterprise device. It is not a portable MiFi/hotspot device. I am aware of what modem it has, other manufacturers use the same modem. It is a challenge to find decent data plans that can be used with cellular routers/business/enterprise devices in the USA. And sure, there are flags carriers can set, based on IMEI. Some carriers probably show Peplink devices as Peplink and not just Sierra modems. There are carriers that “approve” or “certify” the devices. Otherwise, why would Peplink go through the trouble of going through that process?

An odd catch-22 in the USA.

You can have a good data plan with a device that has weak horrible antenna ports or that swells its battery… or that you have to reset or power cycle every so often.

or you can have a good pepwave device that is excellent quality hardware and stable secure software, but might become a brick at any moment when the data plan is dropped by the carrier for the pepwave. It doesn’t seem to matter that the device is certified for the network, nor that the carrier had the device’s IMEI on the approved list previously.

It is a disappointing state to be in.

I was specifically told it was because it was a 3G device rather than an enterprise issue. I’ve also checked AT&T business and been told it not an approved device.

The AT&T list of approved devices no longer shows any Peplink products https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

I’ve contacted Peplink.

Case in point, I think that is the consumer list. Check out this list: https://marketplace.att.com/certified-devices

I guess the question is where does it leave us if you can use data for $1/GB on a netgear or $1/GB on an inseego or $10/GB on a pepwave, for the exact same data transferred.

It’s no fault of Pepwave but this is the reason why many people get a router where it’s possible to change the IMEI and be done with all this nonsense.

@mystery The certified device list is very useful. Thank you!

My Max Transit Duo is unfortunately not listed (MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA-R-T-PRM), nor my Mini (MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-W-T).

I guess that we need to all ask Pepwave to get its list of devices added to AT&T’s list of certified devices. Anyone know how to make this happen?

1 Like

I believe there is an existing thread on these forums about device certification.

Even if more pepwave devices get added to the “IOT certified” list, can you afford those prices?
https://marketplace.att.com/products/iot-share-plan-lte-na
1 GB plan = $720/month !!!

Please also try using the firmware listed in this notice - This is not expected to be needed if you are on a device with a Cat 12, 6, or 4 device, but there was a previous firmware update to address the same 3G sunset for some of those devices.

1 Like

@Travis thank you. I was already running 8.2.0. The device is suspended by AT&T and they have suspended service as the device is not approved according to their tech support. Please see the link in Mystery’s post above for further reference.
I suggest that Pepwave and AT&T review the list of certified devices ASAP.
I’d like priority on MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA-R-T-PRM and MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-W-T ASAP from my personal perspective please!!!
Thank you in advance!

@aquablue please note that you are looking at the IoT plan which is meant for much lower data than most of use. Hope this helps.