AP One Enterprise periodic lock-up

So, I came home to find that once again the AP has locked up. This time it is exclusively the Guest network. The base network is still working fine. The event log clearly shows all devices being shed at one time:

Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 18:B4:30:05:95:C2 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 18:B4:30:01:54:32 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 44:65:0D:B4:78:A8 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 18:B4:30:12:D7:92 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 18:B4:30:12:FB:7E disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 58:EF:68:DA:F9:B5 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 94:10:3E:B5:E1:11 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 58:EF:68:DB:08:19 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 14:91:82:D8:C3:7F disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 60:38:E0:49:E6:35 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 58:EF:68:F6:03:B9 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 18:B4:30:08:62:E5 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 58:EF:68:BB:56:19 disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 14:26:50 Client 58:EF:68:F8:D3:3D disassociated from Blue
Oct 04 13:47:04 Client 60:38:E0:49:E6:35 associated with Blue

I believe this confirms that it is the AP that is “disassociating” the devices rather than the other way around. Does anyone understand a formal process for getting tech support from Peplink? When I sent an inquiry to the 3G Store where I bought this equipment, it fell on deaf ears. Thanks in advance.

@chklee

Normally, you should contact your purchase point for help as they are the local representative for us. Seem you can’t get anything from them, please open a support ticket here for support team to check.

1 Like

Thank you. That is super helpful!

@chklee

Please include the forum link into the support ticket so that support team aware on the request.

1 Like

I have the same problem. My devices lose their connection and when i try to connect again, i see the password error some times or some times not, but I cant connect to wifi , while I entered the correct password. I have a BP One Core and 3 AP One Enterprise and the firmware is up to date.

@chklee

Could you please update this thread on your progress resolving your problem. I am having the same issue as you, and am about to dump my peplink AP’s to try to solve the problem. Thanks.

And similar here. Wired network is fine but AP One Enterprise locks on multiple devices periodically.

As luck would have it, I have been digging into this further recently, as we are all held up at home taxing the network. Unfortunately, I have to report that I continue to have difficulties with the AP One Enterprise. It does not lock up, but it frequently requires users to detach and reattach to the wifi in order to maintain internet connectivity. Looking at the event logs, I still see devices disassociating and reassociating with the network rapidly (6 seconds is not uncommon). My conclusion is that the access point is not reliable for a high quality of service. We can get by, but it is a source of annoyance And I expect more. For trouble shooting purposes, I had people attach to my guest network which runs through an old AirPort Extreme. Both access points get dhcp via a Balance One. The airport maintains continuous connectivity, so I have to conclude it is the AP One. I have already played with channels, signal strength, etc. I was hoping there would be a firmware update that would help me out, but now, I am prepared to move on. I am tired of listening to the complaints. FWIW, I love the balance one and my surf soho.

1 Like

I had a very similar problem a year or three ago with clients needing to toggle wifi off, then on to “reconnect” to wifi periodically through the day. We are a mixed shop. Many of the affected clients were Apple centric (MacBooks, iPhones and iPads). However this was also observed on a few Lenovo clients and a few Android phones. There was no common denominator such as wifi radio chipset, vendor or distance from the AP.

I’ve copied my fix (with some light editing) from another post. I am running with these settings on our APs (AP One Enterprise and AP One AC mini). Wifi connectivity issues have not been a issue since.

3 Likes

Thank you so much louisbohn! Very helpful. Also read through the related thread. Have applied the beacon/interval settings you recommend. Will test for a couple of days and report back. Also read through the related thread. Did not implement the other changes there (have auto channels); will make a change at a time for now.

Just for reference, so others who read this know, my connectivity issue is that some devices show as connected to a given SSID, but there is in fact no network connectivity. It happens randomly, with an iPhone but also non-Apple laptops. Kind of what’s described in the linked thread from louisbohn.

1 Like

Here is a link to an in-depth article about wifi beacons, and how they affect performance. I used this article as the basis for the beacon changes that resolved the wifi connectivity issues at our shop. It’s a very good, technical read.

4 Likes

How does one set the beacon rate for APs under InControl2 management? I don’t see anything under the radio settings in IC2, and AP management is turned off at the device itself.

1 Like

Don’t know about IC2, I don’t use. However, on the Balance One itself, I had to click the ‘?’ and then the ‘click here’ link to enter advanced settings. Advanced settings do not show at first.

Capture

IC2 is the issue. When an AP is controlled by IC2 then local control is no longer available.
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 13.19.27

1 Like

@Carlos_Gonzalez @Cosmogeek

Please open a ticket here for support team to further investigate the problem. Please ATTN the ticket to sitloongs and we will help to investigate the problem.

2 Likes

Just a quick update. The beacon settings did not solve my issue, so I moved to the recommendations for fixing the SSID channels; so far it seems the issue is now resolved, but still monitoring.

2 Likes

This is very important and common problem but you as a support team always answer “please open a ticket”! I think, it’s better that the Peplink Team either answer here or being silent!

Hi,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Please explain what exactly you have done?
Have you set the beacon setting to its previous state?
What channels have did you set on each frequency?
Did you consider a specific frequency to set each access point? Or did you apply channel setting on load balancer?

Just wanted to circle back. I ended up opening a ticket with support, but in the end, nothing really helped. I ended up switching the device for a different brand and all my issues went away immediately.

Hi Carlos,
thanks for sharing your experience. Which brand was OK for this problem? Do you use still Load Balancer (BP One Core) or not? We couldn’t solve this problem too.