AP One AC Mini - Two Simple Questions

1. Does the new AP One AC Mini have it’s own web interface so that it can be added to a network that doesn’t use a Peplink router?

2. Could more than one AP One AC Mini be added to the same non Peplink network to improve coverage?

1. Does the new AP One AC Mini have it’s own web interface so that it can be added to a network that doesn’t use a Peplink router?

Yes, AP One AC Mini can be manage either through Peplink AP Controller, Incontrol2 or local Web Admin.

1. Could more than one AP One AC Mini be added to the same non Peplink network to improve coverage?

Yes, you can add more than 1 One AP One AC in the network broadcasting the same SSID. WIFI roaming are allowed for client PCs connect across the multiple AP One AC Mini

1 Like

A follow-up question to these: I see that 16 SSIDs are supported per AP

How many SSIDs (and a different VLAN associated to each SSID) can be configured using the local Web Admin?

Hi,

I will assume you are referring to the AP One AC Mini local Web Admin GUI. The SSIDs allowed to be created will be 16.

You will be notify with “No Empty Slot” if the created SSID exceeded 16. Fore more information, please refer to the attached screenshot.

Possible to let me know what do you mean “different VLAN associated to each SSID” ? Are you referring to WPA/WPA2 Enterprise (802.1x) authentication ?

Thank You

1 Like

That is very nice.

So my follow-up question: (If this is covered in a FAQ that I missed, please point me toward it.)

What are all of the supported ways to assign different VLANs to different SSIDs, and what needs to be purchased to operate this way?

If RADIUS authentication is the only way, isn’t a captive portal needed as an authentication interface?

If using iControl is the cost effective and most flexible solution to providing a network based controller for a deployment, I believe that running these in OS hosting environments is supported (VMware, VirtualBox, AWS, Azure, etc), but I did not see pricing details. Maybe even on Docker or Google App engine?

Where is the best place to get those details?

Thank you.

VLAN ID can be define at SSID level. No extra thing need to purchase to support this.

For more information, please refer to the screenshots below:

AP Controller:

AP Local WebAdmin:

InControl2:

Radius authentication can be enable for the following:

1. SSID association (WIFI Access)
  • WIFI client associate to SSID (Network Level)
  1. Captive Portal
  • AP Controller Captive Portal

For more information regarding to InControl2, please refer to the URL below:

Thank You

1 Like

I too am having a great deal of difficulty configuring our first AC Mini AP. (We’re in the early stages of trying to convert four locations from Ubiquity APs to Pepwaves - very frustrating.)

While we’d like to configure the AC Mini AP (and likely, other Pepwave APs if all goes well), via the Balance 20s/30s at each location, we do not see the same screen you show above. Ours looks like this:

As you can see, some configuration variables are missing. (This photo is showing a balance 20 with 6.3.0 firmware and an AC Mini with firmware that is also current.

Specifically, our objectives are to:

1. Ensure guests have no access to PepVPN
  2. Ensure guests can only access the internet/gateway and have no access to (or “see”) other network resources, including other guests.

I have been unable to locate documentation on the variables shown in your first screenshot – that of “AP Controller.” In particular, I’d like to see how Peplink/Pepwave implements such variables as VLAN Pool, Restricted Mode and Block All Private IP. I’ll also need to understand how SSID is associated with the three groups allowed for QOS – (Balance 20: Network | QOS | Bandwidth Control | Group Bandwidth Reservation). There must be some documentation I have not found. Can you point me to it?

Hi Rick,

I should make a different Webadmin screenshots for AP Controller “Standard” & “Pro” version so that you will have better understand the available features. Seem you are using AP Controller “Standard” version thus the available features are different.

For more information, please refer to the description below:

Balance 20/30/30 LTE/50/One/210/310 comes with AP Controller Standard, which supports one configuration profile with multiple SSIDs, meaning that all APs will share the same configuration, and you can only manage APs on the local physical LAN. Balance 305/380/580/710/1350/2500 comes with AP Controller Pro, which supports multiple configuration profiles with multiple SSIDs, and you can manage remote APs outside the local physical LAN.

Base on the description given, i will assume you need the following network setup:

• B20 - AP Controller
  • AP One AC Mini - WIFI AP
  • Switch
  • VLAN Staff - Untagged
  • VLAN Guest - VLAN 2 (Block to access PepVPN remote networks)

Devices configuration:

1. Enable VLAN support for B20 LAN
  • Create VLAN Staff & Guest

• Disable Inter-VLAN routing for Guest VLAN (This will make sure Guest VLAN can’t access other local network resources)

1. Create SSID base on VLAN

1. Make sure Switch have trunk port for B20 & AP (Make sure AP can reach to B20)

2. Enable QOS base on User Group (IP Network)

1. Use Firewall Access Rules to control access PepVPN (Internal Network Firewall Rules)

Thank You

1 Like

Very helpful. That makes sense and I’ll try it! Thank you!

The network typology is exactly as you have said. Everything is at the same location – and where I am physically present. That’s why I expected to see the config screen you showed. But I see the differences between product levels.

Rick

1 Like

Thank you very much, @sitloongs !

I appreciate your high quality responses.