AP One AC Mini and Balance 20 - WAN connection dropping

@reebok

Yes, this is fixed. Please check the AP firmware released notes below:

1 Like

This is not fixed for AP One 300m

This issue has strangely come back. Pepwave AP One AC Mini HW1 running FW 3.6.1 via pack 1171 no longer correctly leases IPs to Apple devices when a switch is in the mix. Only APs directly connected to the B210 acting as AP controller will lease IPs to Apple devices. Other devices seem unaffected.

I think I have also noticed this recently (perhaps the past 8 weeks) but we are running Rugged and Enterprise ApPs (running 1170) via switch to Balance One Core (running 8.0.2).

Apple devices (in particular on my own MacBook Pro) connect fine, but once or twice a day it seems like, even though there is a full wifi signal, those devices suddenly loose internet access. Turing my wifi off and then back on restores the internet. If may be that if I waited 10-15 mins it would resolve itself, but I don’t have that time to experiment.

We do have the Fast Transition setting enabled, but that seems to do absolutely nothing – unless it is not supported on iOS or MacOS devices.

@sitloongs perhaps you can comment on these reported issues as well. Thanks.

I have uncovered the following regarding iOS and MacOS:

iOS

Summary: All recent generations of iPad & iPhone support 802.11k, 802.11r, 802.11v. (I am not seeing the same extent of problems with iOS as MacOS, although I am not certain that the Fast Transition is actually working as expected.)

MacOS

Key extracts:

1. macOS clients monitor and maintain the current BSSID’s connection until the RSSI crosses the -75 dBm threshold. After RSSI crosses that threshold, macOS scans for roam candidate BSSIDs for the current ESSID.

2. macOS selects a target BSSID whose reported RSSI is 12 dB or greater than the current BSSID’s RSSI. This is true even if the macOS client is idle or transmitting/receiving data.

3. macOS doesn’t support 802.11k. macOS does interoperate with SSIDs that have 802.11k enabled.

4. macOS doesn’t support Fast BSS Transition, also known as 802.11r. You don’t have to deploy additional SSIDs to support macOS because macOS interoperates with 802.11r.

5. There is no mention of macOS support for 802.11v.

Even if macOS does not support 802.11k, 802.11r (and possibly 802.11v), given comment 1 & 2 above, I would expect handoff to be taken care of by macOS directly. However, this does not seem to be happening. Is there any reason why that might be the case?

2 Likes

@adeebag & @thebigbeav

Please open a ticket for support team to check.

1 Like