x62 x65 modem differences

Hi,

I recently purchased the BR2 and I was wondering what differences its modem’s chipset has from the newer x62/x65 modems.

Someone mentioned that newer modems use aggregation.

How does that differ from these Qualcomm AR9344-DC3A modems?

I am guessing that it will not matter since I only have one tower that is close enough to my location.

I was just curious and having trouble finding info on the topic.

Thanks,
Travis

2 Likes

A single cell tower serves multiple bands. I was thinking that carrier aggregation utilize multiple bands simultaneously.

I can guarantee you your BR2 is capable of carrier aggregation (CA.) This was true of modems used by Peplink loooong before the BR2. Even the older CAT6 BR1 Mini routers can do LTEA, for example.
Now, having said that, carriers handle CA differently. In the USA, for example, AT&T often does not invoke CA until it is needed. However, you’ll see it with T-Mobile right away.
As to the differences between the modems, I’ll let someone else respond. Meanwhile, I would not be concerned – the BR2 is an excellent device which should perform well for you. Congratulations on your ownership of it!

4 Likes

The Ar9344 is a wifi chipset, not cellular.

For 5G modems, it depends on the code in the SKU as to which modem it has:

5GD is Thales MV31
5GH is Sierra Wireless EM9191

(ie in the model number BPL-310-5GH-K-T-PRM)

x65 does 5G carrier aggregation, whereas the thales/sierra 5g models do not support CA (carrier aggregation) with 5g, but does with LTE

Thank you, it has been an amazing device, but it took me a long time to figure out the config.

I have to give thanks to Martin Langmaid for doing the videos and helping me understand Fusionhub.

It is a world of difference because of how the bonding limits packet loss at the cloud server.

I was using the Speedify app, but getting a personal cloud is the only way to go for consistency.

Speedify was good, but having the private Vultr server on the same “Choopa” network is much better.

I am guessing it is because Speedify is having users share their cloud servers.

That’s kind. glad to be of assistance.

1 Like

Both type numbers (Thales and Sierra Wireless) are based on Qualcomm x55 and do not have carrier aggregation for 5G (NSA and SA). They do support ENDC.
Any Qualcomm modem above x62 supports carrier aggregation.

Yep- the newer 5GN versions (ie MAX-BR1-PRO-5GN-T-PRM) are based on newer x62 modems

Yes, indeed. Looking forward to testing them on my side :slight_smile: