Working with bridged LAN and DHCP

Hi,

I have two separate geographic locations and LAN networks that I connect using Speedfusion in bridge mode. Having all my equipment on the same subnet is handy, as we often physically move hosts from one location to the other; however, this means that sometimes a DHCP host is allocated a IP from the Peplink in the remote location. Is there a way to configure the bridge so that DHCP requests are handled locally, or is this just an unavoidable consequence of my configuration?

Thanks,

Felix

Why does it matter if its all one layer 2 bridged network?

Or are you running DHCP at both ends of the bridge and then setting different local gateways at each site (which would be smart actually).

2 Likes

Hi,

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m doing. It’s a /22 subnet where xxx.xxx.0.xxx is one location with router/DHCP server and xxx.xxx.1.xxx is the other location with router/DHCP server (each has their own gateway configured).
If the router at location A hands out an address to a client at location B, the bandwidth for the client is limited by the speedfusion VPN throughput, which I want to avoid.

Thanks!

In theory, a new DHCP request should be answered by the nearest DHCP server (or rather all DHCP servers will answer but the nearest is received first by the client so used).
Could it be that the devices that move to site B are actually doing a renew of the address they received at site A? What happens if you set the lease time to 5 mins less than the travel time between the locations?.

1 Like

Hi,

No, this also happens to devices that have not been to the other location. The lease time on both servers is set to 12h, so generally should be fine to forget the previous settings.

Thanks,

Felix

Block DHCP via firewall?

I don’t think that would work, as they are all on the same lan, logically. No outbound traffic for the firewall to block.