Wireless Channel Selection - what am I missing?

I am struggling with channel selection on my access points. I am using a Balance One Core with the AP Controller enabled. I am managing 2 AP One AX and 3 AP One Mini AC with the controller.

In the AP settings, I have two configurations (one for mesh, and one for non-mesh). Inside those configs, I have enabled specific channels for each (they are supposed to be exclusive). I am having issues with non-eligible channels being used on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. I will use the 2.4 Ghz as my example

Available channels in the configs
Meshed config - 1, 2, 10, and 11
non-mesh config - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9

My non-mesh are currently using channels 6 and 7 (which is expected), but the mesh APs are all using channel 3. Is there something in the mesh that specifies what channels can be used? Does that completely override the settings that I have explicitly set? I have tried rebooting multiple times, but they always seem to land back on channel 3. I have tried rebooting only the two non-wired APs, and then I tried rebooting the wired AP only. Nothing changed.

@jmjones

Can you open a ticket and allow support team to check on this ?

Sure. The devices are long since out of warranty; but if it helps the engineers out - happy to open up a ticket.

Ticket 20120358 has been created. Thanks again for the assistance!

1 Like

There was an individual radio config that did not remove itself when I changed all the settings to “Follow AP Profile” for the channel selection. I quickly removed settings from 3 APs in quick succession and my suspicion is that the config change didn’t fully propagate to the AP, but yet the UI thought that it had. I didn’t have the icon indicating that there was a radio config applied until 2 days later.

Once I re-removed the config, the APs chose the correct channels.

@jmjones, Sit Loong is following up with you in the ticket. Can you help to follow up there? Thanks.