WiFi WAN issues with 8.3.0

Since I’ve upgraded the firmware on my Transit Duo Pro, WiFi WAN no longer seems to auto-connect. If I’m connected to a network, it will stay connected just fine. But once it’s disconnected (for example if I drive away and then come back, or sometimes just a random disconnect) it will not reconnect again until I either restart the device or disable then re-enable the WAN. When I click on the button to see the list of available networks, it just says “No Wi-Fi networks found.” even though there should be many. Once it’s been disabled/re-enabled the scan shows multiple networks and auto-connects to the known network.

Luckily I can force it to connect manually, but it’s rather frustrating! And if I’m trying to use InControl to view anything, I better hope it didn’t disconnect while I’m away which has now happened once!

As an update, I changed InControl to “Restricted to Status Reporting Only” and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. I originally had InControl managing the AP settings and decided to switch that to being managed on device instead. Not sure if that’s related, but this is the first time the WiFi WAN has auto-connected in several months and it seemed to reconnect as well when I drove away and came back.

@Mack_Goodstein, I have tested our unit (same model) on firmware 8.3.0, with multiple disconnections (disconnect the Transit Duo Pro - 5GHz Wi-Fi WAN from the AP side), and I can see it will automatically be reconnected after a minute or two.

If you ever encounter a similar issue again, please submit a ticket (and quote this thread), for our team to look into it.

1 Like

Normally my 8.3.0 br1 5g sees a long list of wifi access points my Android tablet doesn’t see. There is one congested area my tablet connects to the access point and my br1 sees no access points. It looks like the br1 is very sensitive to weak wifi signals at the expense of being blinded by rare high interference areas. When I drive away it doesn’t elegantly recover and either takes awhile or needs to be manually reset to see wifi access points again.

Well, I seem to have spoken too soon and the issue has come back. Any time I do anything to modify a SSID or an AP settings, restart the Peplink, or disable/re-enable the WiFi WAN it connects to the WiFi networks as expected. But otherwise after some amount of time it simply seems to stop being able to scan altogether. I will submit a ticket! I’ve also uploaded some screenshots here.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11.27.15 AM.png
Where this screenshot is taken there should be one network it auto-connects to, and almost a dozen other networks within range.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11.28.32 AM.png
Taken after disabling then re-enabling the WiFi WAN on 2.4GHz, the 5GHz WiFi WAN still shows no networks.

Almost anywhere I go I have no issues connecting to wifi networks except for one. There is one network that reliably blinds the access point scan until I manually reset. Its as if that network sends a signal to the router to turn off the scan. This would be a feature if some networks don’t want routers connecting to them. I have no idea but it wouldn’t surprise me.

ok. update a day later. it seems I fixed the issue by resetting device to factory settings. no sweat.

Until I try to connect to the network in question. The router can’t connect to that one and it goes into a permanent connection loop stopping the network scanning . Hafta delete that network from the list of known networks to resolve the scanning issue.

I would guess the access point on that network allows phones but not routers to connect.

Factory reset is what Peplink support suggested I try next, but it’ll be a few days until I have a chance to try that. Sounds like that did the trick for you?

I‘m having the exact same issue with Max Br1 Pro 5G with 8.3.0. Wi-Fi WAN connects and stays connected for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Then it disconnects and when opening the scanning window it says no Wi-Fi networks found. When I disable and re-enable the scan works again and it connects, only to disconnect again shortly after. Problem seems to have started after I arrived in Canada. I downgraded to 8.2.1 and no change. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

had it happen to me the other day. left the location, returned, max br1 pro cat20 did not automatically reconnect and was stuck on scanning despite multiple fully working wifi networks available with excellent signal. @TK_Liew

@mystery, please help to download Diagnostic Report when the problem occurs. Please let me know which SSID it should be connected to. Then submit a ticket and attention to me. Thanks.

Hello - ticket #23070103 created. Diagnostic report attached. I could not figure out how to send it to your attention. Thanks, Fred

I submitted a ticket as was requested, and they ended up giving me an experimental firmware to try. As far as I can tell the problem seems mostly resolved, and it’s now been over a month (and a trip through Canada). Hopefully this will make its way into the mainstream release soon enough! But in the mean time I would recommend submitting a ticket and see if they can get you the fix. It’s still not perfect (occasionally takes up to 30 minutes to reconnect after I leave and come back), but I haven’t had the disconnecting happen since and it always has reconnected on its own.

30 minutes is way too long. we should be talking in seconds not minutes. we are leaving a wifi wan area and wont be returning for a week or two, i will see how it reacts when we are back.

I also received the special build firmware 8.3.0 build 5332 and just installed. I’m in an area with no Wi-FI WAN to test so will have to wait before I can confirm if this has resolved the issue.

Hi TK, please see ticket # 23070239

I checked with the support engineer who handles your case. Your problem is due to WIFI WAN failing to list the available SSIDs. He provided a special firmware and it seems like the problem was fixed based on his last checking. Do let us know if you still facing a problem.

Thanks.

1 Like

Since installing the new firmware the issue has been resolved. I have connected to two different Wi-FI WAN and the connection remains solid, and no more issues scanning for networks.

1 Like

I too have been having issues with WiFi as Wan (most notably 5ghz.) After being kinda gaslit by support I gave up, but only just thought to look at the forum. Sounds like I need to get this beta firmware too.

On the latest public firmware (8.3.0 build 5229), I am experiencing the same symptoms that Mack_Goodstein reported. Mine occurs most frequently on 2.4GHz, though it has affected 5GHz too. I’ve been able to disable/enable 5GHz to get it working again, though sometimes it requires repeated attempts.

TK_Liew, I submitted ticket #23070532, requesting the experimental firmware.