WiFi Calling Priority

Hi,

Can anyone share a setup to prioritize wifi calling (apple on UDP 500 and 4500) for a selected WAN on a dual WAN setup that is currently using lowest latency as the default and only rule? At the moment this is my outgoing rules table:

rule____________________algorithm_______source____destination_____port
https persistance auto____persistance auto____any________any_______tcp 443
default________________lowest latency

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Why do you want to prioritize wifi calling - is it not working or failing?

1 Like

Hi, this is a somewhat of a non-typical situation. This is a rural residential application where we rely on one system using fixed point to point wireless (WAN 1) and a second system using LTE (WAN 2). Both are limited to about 20 mbps
max, with sometimes dropping to 5 mbps. The LTE system also locks up (I believe by design of the provider) and requires regular automated reboots. With this, I can have some challenges with wifi calling dropping or poor quality mid-cal. We use wifi calling
for our phones due to poor cell reception. I’m quite confident that the point to point wifi WAN 1 system should give me more reliable results and wanted to create a rule for that purpose.

Wifi calling over an LTE data source won’t be pretty. Latency is poor and usually inconsistent. To prioritize traffic to WAN1 you’ll need two rules:

source = any
destination = any
protocol = UDP
port = single port 500
algorithm = priority with WAN1 first

Then another rule with the port = 4500.

The rules as described will prioritize all traffic on those ports to WAN1. If the Apple server has a specific IP address or subnet and you can figure that out from the sessions table you can change the destination to that subnet. There likely is no harm to sending all UDP 500 and UDP 4500 through WAN1 so what I wrote above may work fine.

These routes must be above the routes you already have. The table works by reading from the top, stopping at the first rule that matches.

3 Likes

Thank you. Can you please clarify if these two new routes should be above the https persistence rule or one below it?

The new routes must be above the persistence rule. The router will evaluate the table you build starting at the top. Once a match is found, the matching rule applies. Traffic that matches UDP 500 and UDP 4500 will be handled using those rules. Once a match applies the table exits.

Traffic that does not match will fall to the next rule in the table which in your case is persistence.

1 Like