Wi-Fi WAN Issue - 2 APs with same SSID

Hello everyone,

I’m currently performing some tests using 2 Peplinks Max BR1 Mini, as shown on the topologies attached. I have this scenario below and I wanted to check if someone has faced this before, or had such demand.

Basically, we have Peplink 1 connected to a Satellite terminal by the WAN interface, and connected on the LAN interface, we have a Microtik Groove 52 radio (Microtik 1) acting as an Access Point, broadcasting an SSID: “MicroTik”.

On the Peplink 2, we have a Peplink connected by Wi-Fi WAN on the Microtik radio (present on the LAN of the Peplink 1), and on its LAN, it has another MicroTik (Microtik 2) radio broadcasting the same SSID: “MicroTik”. On this scenario, we can possibly have devices connected to the Peplink 2 using the internet with this Peplink connected by Wi-Fi WAN on the Peplink 1, and also, if the customer wants to change the satellite equipment from one machine to another, reconfiguration won’t be necessary, so we would need to keep the same SSID for this.

However, testing this scenario above, we found an issue that:

On the remote side (Peplink 2), when positioning the car/machine away from the Peplink 1 (we have positioned around 200 meters), with Microtik 2 broadcasting on the LAN, the Wi-Fi WAN from the Peplink 2 always connects to the Microtik 2 Wi-Fi that is present on its LAN, showed below on the Red arrow, since both have the same SSID and this Microtik have stronger signal than the Microtik that is present on Peplink 1 (connected to the satellite equipment). We currently need this Peplink to connect on the Microtik 1, which has valid WAN connection but have the same SSID from Microtik 2.

With this in mind, I wanted to check:

Does Peplink router (Max BR1 mini) has some feature or configuration which would allow us to determine which Access Point the Wi-Fi WAN interface would connect, even if it has the same SSID?
Does the Max BR1 Mini also would have a feature that allows the Wi-Fi WAN to connect only on the AP with Internet connectivity (under the same SSID), even if the other, without connectivity, is present with stronger signal? If Max BR1 Mini doesn’t have such features, does any other Peplink router model would support a feature like this?

I also have tried a second scenario:

• I mounted the scenario by removing the Microtiks from the scenario, leaving only the Peplinks making the Wi-Fi LAN and respectively, Wi-Fi WAN.

• I verified that Peplink’s Wi-Fi WAN interface was not identifying the SSID I configured on the LAN (Peplink-1), so I tried configuring the 2 Peplinks with the same SSID on the Wi-Fi LAN, and configured the Wi-Fi WANs to connect on this SSID.

• In the first few minutes it works, for example in Peplink 1 it connects to the Wi-Fi in Peplink 2 and acquires the correct IP address. However, after 1 or 2 minutes, the connection resynchronizes (Scanning > Connecting > Obtaining IP address > Connected). The same is true of Peplink 2.

• Checking the Wi-Fi WAN connection and menu, it is possible to configure the Wi-Fi channels of each Peplink and which ranges it will focus on in the scan. I configured both in different channels and with less interference (3 and 10), but the behavior remained. It is possible to verify that it oscillates between the LAN connection with the LAN of the other Peplink by seeing the Wi-Fi channel that it acquires with the connection, time of channel 3, and time of channel 10, in each resynchronization.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!