Why I switched from Ericsson/Cradlepoint to Peplink... (Opinion paper)

1. My MAX Pro BR2 will power up from 802.11AT, such as from a LAN port from my HD4/MBX.
  2. My MAX Pro BR1 5GN will autoselect the best 5G, LTE, or LTE-A signal between any provider I have a data SIM installed for it in.
  3. When my annual service expires, I don’t lose many essential features. The only notable one is that I lose the ability to manually and easily switch to a different SIM.
  4. You can’t seat SIMS incorrectly in a Peplink.
  5. They integrate perfectly with Starlink, my 3rd backup provider.
  6. You don’t hose the box if you insert a SIM while being powered up. (smoked a 3000 this way, apparently, as I had to send it back for warranty replacement.)
  7. I can change ownership from myself, back to my reseller, or to a customer without a 4-hour phone call and countless emails proving the device isn’t stolen.
  8. Very low power draw. I can run my BR1s and a laptop from a 300Wh battery pack all day without having to plug in.
  9. Single Wire GPIO - This stuff makes taking in relays such as high/low water levels, extreme temps in, and being able to react, EASILY.
  10. This forum. - enough said. Quaility posts and relevant content.
  11. They have awesome, Peplink antennas under their own brand so you’re not searching multiple “partner” sites for compatible antennas.
    1. The 82G is worth a lot more for the performance.
    2. The 40G Maritime is rugged and impressive as heck in performance.
    3. The 42G and 40G Mobility antennas have extremely impressive performance for the size.

That’s it.
I’m just a happy Texan/Cyber nerd with a good local reseller and a great technology partner with Peplink!
If anyone wants to buy my 3000 and 300 Cradlepoints, I’ll sell for scrap prices!

-Lucas

5 Likes

You brought up a lot of good points, thanks for sharing , regarding @Luke_Morgan [quote=“Luke_Morgan, topic:45773”]
3000 and 300 Cradlepoints
[/quote]

I’m in texas too, maybe we can use for target practice?
I like that if you forget to renew or are unable to the device doesn’t become a brick, but the ic2/prime care still comes with quite a bit of value as well. We love using all of the historical data in ic2.

2 Likes

Heck yea, I’d love to dispose of the Cradlepoints! Maybe duct tape some Tannerite to them to really send them off!

I forgot about the historical data, that IS handy especially after I do a site survey and forget to do a screen capture.

I will definitely keep Primecare on my BR1/BR2s but I may drop it on the HD4/MBX as it’s the only one that is what I would call pricey. I so underutilize my HD4, but it’s mated to an 82G Mobility with two VZN sims so it does me well as the base station for my WISP.
-Lucas

2 Likes

Hello @Luke_Morgan,
I’ll add one more: we switched our business to Peplink.

We discovered Peplink (by accident) a long time ago and started looking into it more. One of the compelling reasons we changed (back in the days of the original InControl and Firmware 5, not the ones we should all be using today) is so that our customers (and ourselves) could sleep at night. If we are up late at night, it’s rarely due to a Peplink technical issue (though it may be converse with our international Peplink community members).

Welcome to the Peplink Community,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will take our E3000 or E300 off your hands for testing purposes

Does $60 shipped (CONUS) work for you? I’ve already tossed the E3000 in the garbage after netcloud expired. The E300 I can’t change ownership of, as Ericsson is being buttholes about it, even though the original owner has informed them he’s “given” it to me as a work-related benefit.

-Lucas