Which AP is my Mac attached to?

Hi,

Is there a way my Mac will tell me which AP it has connected to? I thought I would see that info when I option clicked on wifi icon in the to bar but I don’t think so. For troubleshooting, it would be helpful to be able to see that info. We are running a Balance One and Pepwave AP One AC mini access points with firmware 3.5.4 build 1681.

Thanks!
Tom

Hello Tom, @Tom_Meeks
You may need 3rd party software to do that, one of the brands of 3rd party software we use is from Metageek for working on Wi-Fi Networks (we use Chanalyzer).
You could try the inSSIDer Office or inSSIDer 4 - Personal for the MAC, have a look here at http://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/.
There is also a support article from Metageek here at https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/204499140-Run-inSSIDer-for-OS-X on using the software on a MAC.
There are also other 3rd Party options out there if you search for them, just put “wifi analyzer mac” into your favourite search platform.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Thanks very much, I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Option click the wifi icon in the menu bar, it will show much more detailed info on the wifi connection including BSSID

2 Likes

Is the BSSID related to the AP in some way? I thought it would be a unique identifier but I can’t see exactly how.

Yes it is the unique identifier for the specific radio chip set at the factory.

“Each BSS is uniquely identified by a basic service set identifier (BSSID).[5] For a BSS operating in infrastructure mode, the BSSID is the MAC address of the wireless access point (WAP) generated by combining the 24 bit Organization Unique Identifier (OUI, the manufacturer’s identity) and the manufacturer’s assigned 24-bit identifier for the radio chipset in the WAP. The BSSID is the formal name of the BSS and is always associated with only one BSS. Note, the MAC address concept is not limited to radio communication; wired networks use the very same 24+24 bit MAC address concept to uniquely identify the hosts.”

1 Like