What speed might you expect with SpeedFusion over dissimilar WAN link types?

One more question regarding using speedfusion to combine bandwidth of dissimilar wan connections to a fusionhub on a 1gbps port

What download and upload speed might one expect if using SpeedFusion to bond the following two connections:
1.) DSL 10 mbps download, 1 mbps upload
2.) LTE 5 mbps download, 5 mbps upload

Hi. Lots of such great questions can be answered by a search of the Forum. Is this document helpful? https://forum.peplink.com/t/whitepaper-speedfusion-and-best-practices/21173
(Your answer is contained part way through.)

1 Like

Thanks Rick-DC. However when I click the link in your post above, it says “Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!”

Found this based on searching the title above.

If the whitepaper link above is a different document, please let me know as I’d like to read all I can on it.

Referring to that document, my links are within 150 ms of eachother latency, and the slowest link is at least 15% of the fastest link, so hopefully:
10+5=15 -19% overhead = 12.15 mbps download speed over the speedfusion tunnel
5+1=6 - 19% overhead = 4.86 mbps upload speed over the speedfusion tunnel

1 Like

Howdy. Very sorry about that! My error. There are several documents that pretty much say the same thing. The one you found is dated 2013; the one I tried to reference is 2019. However, I read the one you found and it says essentially the very same thing.

1 Like

The one @aquablue has linked to is the one I wrote originally. Here is the link to the new one.

3 Likes

Since starting this thread, I bought a new balance router. I’ve also managed to get DSL speed greatly improved to 15/1.1, and with $600 of antennas, have ATT LTE up to ~20/10 maximum.
Speedfusion works well over ATT LTE alone. Speedfusion also works well for bonding DSL + DSL. However, bonding ATT LTE + DSL the result isn’t completely additive.

Here is what I get with DSL only (only WAN 1 connected)

Here is what I get with LTE only (only WAN 2 connected)

Here is what I get with DSL + LTE connected (WAN 1 + WAN 2)

Go to status speedfusion and pop out the SpeedFusion Graph (using the image button ). Run the test again then take a screengrab of the graph so we can see whats happening per WAN during the bonded test.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for all your time taking a look at my various questions as I get started with peplink gear.

OK, baseline information:

ATT LTE on its own tested at 15.23 download speed, 9.71 upload speed with no vpn tunnel.

Here is how two 15/1 DSL connections bonded with speedfusion:

15/1 DSL WAN 1 + 15/1 DSL WAN 2 Download Test

15/1 DSL WAN 1 + 15/1 DSL WAN 2 Upload Test

Here is
WAN 1: 15/1 DSL + WAN 2: 15/9 ATT LTE Download Test:

WAN 1: 15/1 DSL + WAN 2: 15/9 ATT LTE Upload Test:

WAN 1: 15/1 DSL + WAN 2: 15/9 ATT LTE Upload Test 2 (repeat of last test)

Here is what happens if I unplug DSL on WAN 1 and test with WAN 2: 15/9 ATT LTE Alone, Upload Test over the speedfusion tunnel. (no changes, just unplug DSL from WAN 1)

WAN1 is nasty. Packet loss and horrible latency characteristics - lets try and tame that WAN first.
Set a latency cut off and suspension time in your SpeedFusion Profile:
Cut%20off%20latency%20and%20suspension%20time%20after%20packetloss

Start with a cut off latency of 100ms and a suspend after packet loss of 50ms. Run your speedtests again combining WAN1 with Cellular. Adjust the cut off latency upwards in 25ms increments till you find the sweet spot.

DSL on WAN2 looks much nicer than WAN1, if would be good to see how well that bonds by itself with cellular.

3 Likes

DSL on WAN 1 is the best it’s ever been here :slight_smile: pushing the limits a bit to be part of the 21st century. But thankful both the DSL and with the peplink in the mix, it’s better than ever before. Life in rural America isn’t for the timid :grin:

Will test more tomorrow but have to think about this.

One complication is that the LTE connection may not always be available. It’s up and performs well about 95% of the time around 20/10, is slower about 4% of the time, and down for 1% of the time. What would happen with the cut off set for the DSL on a day when the LTE went down? [Edit] Tested, and the Peplink is smart enough not to enforce the cutoff on the DSL when it’s the only link when the LTE link is physically disconnected. Still have to think about what would happen if the LTE is impaired but not down completely.

Will also test the other DSL circuit bonded with LTE and also try and get both DSL circuits performing equally well. Ultimately would like to buy the 3rd wan license and run two dsl circuits + 1 LTE.

To follow up on this thread, setting the latency cuttoff value as you suggested above works a treat for improving the upload speed with speedfusion, DSL + LTE.

A random observation: before I implemented the latency cutoff, I found that upload of one file over speedfusion DSL+LTE I was getting about half the LTE-alone speed. Uploading a couple and then a few files, I was seeing the same. Once I reached 8 simultaneous uploads, over the speedfusion tunnel, upload speed increased to the full LTE speed. I’m not sure why this was, but thought I’d mention it. I want the connection to feel quick for a single user, so I want maximum speed for a single transfer, so I proceeded with setting the latency cutoff.

With the latency cuttoff value set as described above at 100ms and suspend after packet loss set at 50 ms, I get upload speed with 1mbps DSL upload speed + 10 Mbps ATT LTE upload speed = 8.5 Mbps speedfusion upload speed.

can one set latency and packet loss cut off on a connection without using speed fusion or must speed fusion be used to have such cut-offs?

Nope. SpeedFusion has enhanced WAN analysis capabilities built in that makes this possible.

2 Likes

Bummer. @aquablue which device do you have?

aquablue which device do you have?

Balance 210. Since starting this thread, then buying the 210, and testing for a while now, what I’d really like to see would be an option to enable speedfusion on a balance
router to bring up/start routing traffic over an additional dissimilar link when it’s needed. I started a new thread to describe what I’d love to see: SpeedFusion - send traffic over additional lower quality or higher cost WAN 2 when higher quality WAN 1 saturated - #7 by aquablue

*Speedfusion works great for me for bonding similar link types - two identical dsl connections in my current use case.
*It also works great to maintain the connection up when one connection goes offline, which I’ve tested a few times by unplugging one with zero interruption.
*The tip above (thank you!) removes the burden of the dsl from the lte upload when bonded
*But what I didn’t anticipate is that I don’t love the LTE’s added latency/variability when just browsing or working on the command line which is faster and 100% consistent with just the dsl connections bonded.

Speedfusion has a hierarchy option for failover, so you have connections in priority 1 group, connections in priority 2 group, If all connections in group 1 fail, then group 2 is enabled (as I understand it…)

I am struggling to decide whether I want to add LTE into the “all-the-time” mix for two reasons:
1.) it has very fast upload speed in my location, but the ping time is variable here (higher jitter) so browsing or command line work isn’t as fast as with just the dsl bonded, and
2.) my faster LTE option is metered, with data that is never deprioritized, so for $ I’d rather add it to the speedfusion mix only when it actually makes an improvement.

If Speedfusion could bring up priority 2 group connections when priority 1 was saturated, then it would be great not only for failover, but for augmenting bandwidth with dissimilar link types, in my opinion. That would be a really cool feature.

I’m currently doing this by just plugging in the LTE connection when I want to upload something huge. The original plug-n-play I guess. The speedfusion tunnel adds the connection when plugged in and it’s seamless…

please, what page on the peplink website contains the download link you post above?

please, what page on the peplink website contains the download link you post above?

Back in May, I found it by googling “whitepaper speedfusion and best practices”

Doing the same search today in September, it provides:

1 Like