First of all, I should say that the bold print in my previous reply was not meant as shouting. I used a string of equal signs as a separator between each question and associated reply and it decided that I wanted the text in bold. So, apologies if it implied me being livid/upset or whatever.
Yes, I understand that stuff dies and excrement sometimes hits the air moving apparatus.
My decision had many reasons but let me mention just a couple:
I live in Canada, 5GStore is located in the USA. While they ship a SOHO anywhere in the continental USA for $5, that doesn’t apply to Canada. I am also responsible for getting the SOHO back to them for repair/replacement. One ‘round trip’ of the SOHO cost me roughly $45 for freight and takes about 15 days under normal circumstances (the returned router is currently stuck in San Francisco since May 11).
I also end up paying 12% of the router value for taxes which becomes difficult to reclaim if the unit is sent back. In other words, there is a non-trivial cost involved in shipping stuff back and forth across the border.
Had the feedback been ‘wow, that never happens’, I would have probably asked for either a replacement or upgraded. It wasn’t and I didn’t.
This was not the first issue with the router. It seemed to have an issue with the gigabit wan link which resulted in reduced throughput. A return authorization was issued but because of cost and time and the performance hit being relatively small, I decided to keep the unit as is.
I also had a situation where a faulty firmware upgrade bricked some functionality of the router. I ended up discovering the issue being a bad firmware upgrade without help from Peplink. This led to a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about tech support and how long issues took to be resolved. It was a very straight forward issue that should have been resolved in a day or two by Peplink with a reply of ‘thanks for making us aware of this issue’ rather than a week or so of me trying different things before realizing that the new firmware that was served up by Peplink was defective. I might add that it wasn’t a minor defect but one that drastically affected operation and cursory testing before releasing the upgrade should have shown it was not ready for prime time.
So, to sum it up, the whole thing was a bit of a shit show and I decided to cut my losses rather than go deeper into the rabbit hole.
I hope that clears things up a bit … it wasn’t just a “this stupid thing isn’t working and I want a refund”