What causes surf soho to drop all 2.4 GHz clients

For now, I have moved the Asus to the channel that the SOHO was on (5) when it crashed and the SOHO was moved to channel 11.
It is now a waiting game to see which router/AP crashes first.

The SOHO crashed (dumped 2.4 GHz clients) twice now. It recovered once overnight and the second time required a reboot.
The Asus has not hiccuped once!

After the latest reboot, it lasted about 90 minutes before dumping clients again.

I have decided to attempt to get a refund for the SOHO as I have lost all confidence in this device. It is unfortunately past the 30 day refund period but I am hopeful that 5G store will come through despite the delay.

Hi Jens,

Sorry to hear that!

:thinking:

Happysurfer, for some reason the message I got via email is quite different then the message as posted in the forum. I don’t know what’s up with that.

I am aware of the security issues with Asus but can no longer work with a crippled /
unreliable router/AP that is down more often than it’s up. I think I
mentioned at one point that reliability was paramount in my decision to
go with the SOHO - I was prepared to accept lower throughput and higher
costs in order to get reliability.
As it turned out, the Asus is three times faster in throughput and much
more reliable than this particular Soho and all this at a lower cost.
Maybe it’s just a lemon but I am no longer prepared to spend stomach
lining and time on this router.
I would go with a higher grade router/AP (Balance One) but I can’t help
to think of the old proverb “Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice,
shame on me”
The fact that I am in Canada and am subject to high freight costs (both
ways) doesn’t help either.

Jens

Change your wifi channel from Auto to a fixed selection. I won’t be surprised if your problem goes away.

1 Like

Channels are already fixed and different channels were tried. I am not situated in a dense wifi area.

If you tried moving the SOHO further from interference sources like Bluetooth and closer to the 2.4Ghz clients to no avail then another quick easy test you could do is to try swapping the ASUS dual frequency antennas onto the SOHO to see if that’s the problem.

1 Like

Can you find someone else that’s had this problem?

Have you tried moving The Surf soho to a different location?
You seem to be hell bent on trashing the Surf soho over the other router.
I have been using the Surf soho for over six years now and never had the problem that you describe. I think you should work a little harder at the problem. I know I would based on all of the above.
Don’t give up! Find the problem and fix it.

1 Like

An interesting development:
I started logging DHCP messages and discovered that when the 2.4 GHz system goes down, there are no DHCP assignments happening for 2.4 GHz. Of course I don’t know if the network goes down because there are no DHCP assignments or if the assignments stop because the system is down. Nevertheless, an interesting development.
The network that went down was exclusively assigned to only work on the 2.4 GHz band. I have now changed that to allow both 2.4 and 5 GHz client connections and rebooted. There are no actual 5 GHz clients. I will see if there are any changes in up-time.
I know it’s kinda grasping at straws but hey …

Ballistic - I am posting here in order to see if somebody else has had these problems. So far nobody has spoken up. I have no other way of finding out if this is a known issue.

Unfortunately the recent development didn’t get me any further. DHCP messages showed all clients being renewed nicely and then all of a sudden the network in question no longer received any DHCP assignments.
Next test will be to set up a third network and move some clients to it.

When encountering unexpected modes of operation after updates and reconfigurations the first thing I would do is a factory reset and reconfigure the SOHO from scratch.

I might do that. For now, this new setup is actually working for some reason or other. Before, it would drop clients pretty regularly within 2 hours but at the moment, after about 4 hrs, things are still working.

Unlikely to be the same problem, but my Surf SOHO drops all connected WiFi connections approx 5 minutes into a FaceTime video calls, including the devices unrelated to the call. All clients remain disconnected for around 5-10minutes before reconnecting. While it doesn’t sound like this issue, there is some instability in this product. This is a reproduceable issue in my household, and while it does cause come frustration the other benefits of the device are more important to me. I’m hoping that these stability issues get resolved in future updates.

Thanks for speaking up Steeeve …

@jens @Steeeve

Do you have support ticket created for the issue ? It’s good that support team can help to check on the issue.

You can open a support ticket here :
https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

1 Like

No, not with Peplink. I am actually a bit confused about opening a ticket. Last time I opened a ticket with Peplink it was assigned to 5Gstore (my vendor) so this time around I opened a ticket with 5GStore. I am not sure if both of these methods open the same ticket or what.
I do not believe the issue has been escalated to Peplink from 5GStore.

I can also report that my attempt to see if generating a new network would make a difference was a failure. Both networks that were accepting 2.4 GHz connections (the original plus the test network) were dumped again.

1 Like

5GStore has declined a return which, given the circumstances, is very strange. There is an outside chance that a return might be authorized if it turns out the router has an issue. I have asked them to reconsider but if it turns out that the router is defective and they issue a return (ie not for exchange but for a refund) authorization than this would make me happy as well.
I have asked 5GStore to escalate to Peplink as this has been going on for too long and my sanity is starting to suffer. I will need to switch back to the old router soon and then testing of the SOHO will become an issue.

It has been mentioned that I am pretty harsh on the SOHO and yes, that is true and maybe frustration has a lot to do with it. I would very much like a RELIABLE enterprise grade router with all of it’s advanced features and reporting capabilities. The key word of course is RELIABILITY … if I have the router dumping clients every 2 - 4 hours it makes no difference that it is as secure as Fort Knox.

1 Like

Hi jens,

5G Store opened a ticket with us and we will investigate the issue.

1 Like