Watchdog / auto reboot

I know this has been talked about in the past. But is there a way to have the MAX-BR1’s reboot at a set time every day?
or when it loses cell connection?

Hi @MRW-CRS,

I’m not aware of any way to reboot the device if it loses cellular connection. However, you can schedule a daily reboot:-

Here is a > Link < to explain how to set this up - note the explanation shows a weekly reboot, but there is an option for daily reboot too.

Thanks,

Steve

2 Likes

This would be great! I wish they could implement something like this internally on the device to automatically reboot when it loses cellular.

Why though? What are you trying to solve? And why reboot the entire device and not just disable and re-enable the Cellular WAN?

How can I do that remotely if the cellular is down? Unless you meant to tell the device to restart only the cellular only, that would also work rather than a complete reboot.

We have a customer that deploys the Transit mini’s in a mobile application. Most of these devices can be hours away from the closest service tech. Having a way to automatically reboot the device when cellular is lost for a predetermined amount of time would be much more efficient than deploying a tech in most cases.

I was saying, if you have a feature request to reboot a device, why not limit it to restarting the WAN? Rebooting a device with complex settings/rules can take 5-10 minutes some times. Rebooting a network interface can take seconds or a minute. Much more efficient.

But first, what is the root cause? Why does the cellular need to be rebooted? That is not normal.

Finally, some times with multiple WANs, you can log in and move a different WAN to disabled and then re-enable it. Again, why would you have to do that? What are you trying to solve? Switch the cellular to a different band? Tower? etc.

A good well-designed stable working solution should not need reboots.

Yes that would be great also. I am unsure what the issue is exactly. From time to time the devices will lose the cellular connection and rebooting the device has always fixed the issue.

If you have any other suggestions on what could be causing this, I’m all ears.

Have you looked at the logs in-depth? Logged a ticket with peplink and uploaded diagnostics file? What troubleshooting have you done? My peplink devices seem to be OK for months at a time without reboot and usually get rebooted due to power outage or firmware update. 8.1.3 seems to be one of the most stable firmwares so far.

You said “well-designed stable working solution should not need reboots.”

however sometimes the issue/problem is with Verizon or ATT etc… and rebooting or restarting the connection clears the issue / forces Cell providers equipment to reconnect

I have had to call verizon and have them reestablish the link.

sometimes a reboot removes the GHOST causing the problem

I would also like to see this as a feature in the regular interface and not something that needs to be accessed via the support.cgi URL. I have an intermittent issue where a watchdog would save me the time and cost of rolling a bucket truck to simply reboot a modem.

Yes, I logged a support ticket.

Steve - Thanks for pointing out the support.cgi page! I did not know it existed.

I want to do a daily reboot because my Pepwave Max Transit is on my boat and several times a year I leave the boat for one to three weeks and want to monitor many systems remotely. Every time I leave, the system goes offline sometime in the first week. When I return, I can’t even login to the admin panel without a power cycle. Typically there is nothing in the log that happened close to the time it went offline. Well, I can’t really be sure because I don’t REALLY know when it went offline.
Pat
ps I was not aware of this support.cgi page. Are there additional pages that don’t show up in the normal system UI?