Want to be a Beta Tester for our SpeedFusion Connect App?

How about the name Peplink Go ,Peplink Connect , Peplink Simple Connect , Peplink Quick Start.
For me the struggle on the app is:

Converting exsisting config /incontrol2 to the app, I don’t want to have to reset.
Support for more models including BR1 classic, br1 mini HW2, have a lot of these.
Ideally any device that supports 8.3 should be able to support the app.
What features are supported only on the app, vs incontrol2 vs web-admin?
For features that aren’t available on the app a page to quickly access thoose features directly on the router via a redirect Remote Web Acces(RWA) to say the firewall page would help fill the gaps.
I’d also recommend rendering as a webview in the app.

On a second note, I love the simple setup of scanning the s/n to add a device in the app.
The incontrol2 app doesn’t have a way to add devices.
I’d recommend adding that same ui sequence from the “Simple app/SpeedFusion Connect App” to your incontrol2 app and router utility.

When I first started deploying accesspoints I used to use cloudtrax and back in the day they were one of the first that I recall to use a qrcode to quickly adopt a device/serial to your account.
I’d love to have a way to adopt accesspoints easily via scan into simple app/incontrol2 /ap controller.

I also would like auto discover on local lan for simple app/incontrol2 app/router utility/chrome desktop (with plugin) if your desktop or mobile is on the same network where it can find a pepwave device either through broadcast discovery or local dns name peplink.local device.peplink.com.
Please have the app devlopers contact me directly and we can work together.

3 Likes

There really needs to be a way for the app to coexist with the existing web/incontrol2 configuration. The app should simply provide another means to control the same configuration without having to do a factory reset. Users should be able to choose to sometimes use the mobile app to quickly and easily change settings and choose other times to use the more in depth configuration options available through the web/incontrol2.

CAUTION: If you start (but don’t finish) setting up your router in the SFC app, it might later suddenly take over and wipe out your router settings (at least the AP settings). (At least that’s what happened to me.)

I started setting up my Balance 20X in the SFC app several days ago, but I stopped when it told me I would have to do a factory reset (because I have a TON of settings configured and didn’t have the time to re-create everything). I continued being able to view/edit all my settings via local web admin and through inControl2. Then, just now, all my Wi-Fi devices got disconnected and I logged in to inControl 2 to discover that my AP was suddenly listed as using an External AP and all of my SSIDs and other AP/Wi-Fi settings had been wiped out. … So I tried to remove my Balance 20X from the SFC app and selected the option to keep all of my settings, which prompted me to enter a new admin password (which I did), but the app hung for many minutes and didn’t seem to do anything. I force quit the SFC App and re-opened it, and my Balance 20X is no longer listed.

How do I verify that the SFC app/system is no longer connected to my router and won’t suddenly take control again?

Another, perhaps better, question might by why it is not fully integrated into Peplink’s excellent “Router Utility” for iOS and Android!

1 Like

So I just discovered that my AP One AC Mini also got hijacked by the SFC app–even though I never added it to the SFC app. I had it connected to my Balance 20X, but I never configured the AP One AC Mini to be managed by the Balance 20X and managed the AP settings directly in the web interface of the AP One AC Mini. … Unfortunately, somehow the SFC app changed the login credentials for my AP One AC Mini and I’m unable to login via the web interface. (My credentials saved in my password manager don’t work any more, neither do the credentials for the read only user account, neither do the default credentials printed on the back of the AP One AC Mini, and neither does the password I put into the SFC app when I was trying to regain control of my Balance 20X. … So I’m going to have to get a ladder to retrieve my AP One AC Mini from the ceiling and do a factory reset.

Is there a way to affirmatively PREVENT a device from being taken over by the SFC app?

So I’ve spent a couple of days testing the app with a Balance 20X and have some observations:

1. I really like the look and feel of the application and how it simplifies the management of the device and specially the services. In my opinion, something like this was needed and it its going in the right direction. However, as it is right now it just feels too limited. I constantly find myself resorting to IC2 in order to find basic information that should be available in the app but isn’t. Some basic and important functionality is missing in the app (i.e. switching SIM slots) with no alternative way to do it (i.e. IC2). Hopefully Peplink will find a way to strike a better balance with regards to simplicity and usability.
  2. I agree with what others have stated about the “SpeedFusion Connect” name. It is indeed very confusing and doesn’t seem to convey at all what this new application/paradigm is about. I think a better effort is needed with regards to not only naming but also elucidating how this app fits within Peplink’s ecosystem (other apps, services, etc.).

This are just some honest comments based on a couple of days of testing. All in all I think Peplink has done an excellent job. With some work this could in fact be a “killer app” and a good solution for a subset of Peplink’s customer base.

1 Like