WAN Quality

Hi to everyone,
I would like to know which are the most important parameters to take into consideration for the correct reception of the cellular signal.

RSSI
RSRP
RSRQ
SINR

I know what the parameters indicate but I don’t understand which values are the most important.
I use the “WAN Quality” to check that.
Thank you so much

+1! Would like the explanation of this as well…

Not exactly a simple topic, but I will have a go at explaining each value for you:

RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power)
This is the power of the LTE Reference signals measured across the full channel width and individual carriers within the channel. Ideally should be looking for something in the range from -85 or better (closer to zero is better).

RSRQ (Reference Signal Received Quality)
This is an indication of the received quality of the reference signals measured across the full channel width and individual carriers within the channel. Ideally should be looking for something in the range from -15 or better (closer to zero is better).

SINR (Signal to Interference plus Noise Ratio)
A minimum of -20dB SINR is required to decode RSRP & RSRQ. It is an indication of the potential data throughput capacity of the channel. Ideally should be looking for something higher than 15dB or better (bigger number is better).

RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)
RSSI Is a negative value, the closer the reading is to zero the stronger the signal. This value is calculated by taking into account several other values including those listed above, it is entirely possible that a relatively strong RSSI is reported but performance is still poor. Ideally should be looking for something in the range from -75 or better (closer to zero is better)

Consider the following example:
RSRP = -102dBm
RSRQ = -16dBm
SINR = 2dBm
RSSI = -67dBm

In this instance the RSSI is actually relatively high, however the performance will likely be poor and could be due to distance from the mast, or a harsh RF environment.

When you ask “which are most important” they all kind of are as they are fundamentally related to each other, but if I am quickly looking at why there may be poor performance I would first look at RSSI and SINR together.

If those look good then there could be some other reason such as local congestion, limiting in the carriers network or congested backhaul feeding the cell - many, many things which can also become extremely complex when you have to consider CAA and MIMO etc.

2 Likes