WAN BONDING: Without Speedfusion / VPN

Right now Peplink devices only do bonding through speedfusion / VPN based connection. Without having a VPN the device can only do load balancing, etc… I think everyone would agree that having bonding without the need of a VPN would be one of the best features and certainly place Peplink above the rest of the load balancing devices in the market. We have multiple WAN lines in our office and do not need a VPN however what we’d love is to be able to bond all the lines to use all WAN connection as a one fat pipe, instead of having the traffic spread across the various links. Please consider putting R/D funds into development of this feature. I guarantee if this device could work as a true bonding device as opposed to just load balancer without a VPN “Speedfusion” there would be significant demand. Hope everyone agrees.

2 Likes

How would that work without something on the other end? The peplink device has to break down the traffic at the packet level and (using all available connections) send the data to a remote device where it is combined.

The only feasible way to do this from what I can tell would be for them to develop a bonding appliance or a software package you could host in a remote datacenter to be the endpoint and combine the connection into a “fat pipe”. Perhaps I’m just missing something though?

I believe there are competitor products that do exactly what I am proposing although not sure at what cost. I could be wrong as it’s been a moment since I’ve last researched it. Perhaps the folks at PepLink can provide their input on whether this is something that is possible or quite challenging to implement.

Could you post a link or mention the name of the competitor with the hardware you’re describing? I haven’t come across any solution that offers true link bonding (and not just load balancing) without a remote piece of hardware or software running on a generic server.

Stay tuned for our upcoming FusionHub solution, this is a software version of SpeedFusion that can run on VMware or Amazon AWS.

More details to follow, stay tuned…