VPN tunnel to backbone

I want to experiment with an email and web server from my home office. Unfortunately there is only a residential ISP (Cox) option available. From what I have been told this is not supported by allowed by most residential ISP’s.

For various reasons I don’t want to collocate or use a cloud based server and want to keep the hardware in my office.

Question: are there places where I can rent access to the internet where I can install a Peplink router and create a VPN tunnel to my home office?

What / where do I look for?

If your home router is a Peplink device then deploying a FusionHub Solo on a cloud service (such as Vultr.com or UpCloud.com) then you would get a public, static IP address through which your (mail) service could work well via a PepVPN connection to your home hardware.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
Looking at the services they all offer cloud computing. How would I establish a tunnel without needing any of their other cloud storage or processing services?

You need processing, memory and some persistent storage - hard to run a router without that :slight_smile:

You would rent sufficient processing and storage capacity to run a FusionHub instance. With UpCloud and Vultr that would be a 1 core cpu with 1 GB of memory and 25 GB of storage space (their minimum offering).

Cheers,

Z

1 Like