VOIP over Verizon? Will it work using a MAX?

Has any one used Voip over a LTE MAX modem with Verizon. I have used Verizon modems but they don’t pass Voice. Was wondering if the Peplink Max would do the trick?

In the UK VoIP nearly always works over mobile network data. When it doesn’t, we use a hosted Fusionhub and build a tunnel to it to send VoIP over and it always works that way.

US Mobile network operators seem to like making everyone’s lives difficult though in comparison so lets make sure its ok. @Rick-DC might know for sure.

1 Like

Hmmm. Please tell us exactly what VOIP services (provider, CODEC, if known, etc) you’ve used and the problems you’ve encountered. Not sure why the modems would behave the way you describe. While we don’t have a ton of first-hand experience in this regard with VZW I don’t recall such issues. Ultimately, VOIP is just a bit stream and the modems are pretty much agnostic.

There are a number of participants here in the USA who have made good businesses out of the operations you describe – and using VZW in so doing. One who comes to mind is @jmpfas and perhaps he could be coerced to comment. :wink:

@MartinLangmaid’s experience is more similar to ours but he’s absolutely right-on vis-a-vis the manner in which he characterizes US cel providers.

1 Like

We have over 600 customers on VZW and over 100 on AT&T and a handful on T-Mobile all using pepwaves, max-br1, max mini, 20x etc. I can tell you that verizon modems are specifically set to not pass any VoIP except theirs.
Normally all VoIP traffic is passing over speedfusion VPN, but we have everything set so if the VPN is down it connects over normal Internet.
Note that we do have static IPs on our verizon and AT&T. Without that, and without speedfusion you MAY have more issues. But with a normal, double NAT’d IP WITH speedfusion it will all be good
We never have an issue with cellular carrier interfering with VoIP with or without the VPN, although obviously it is better over the VPN because we then have a end-to-end routed connection instead of NAT at the customer end.
I cannot stress enough how much of a difference having a speedfusion connection makes.

1. use a unique, private subnet at each remote location for the phones. This allows you to have a routed connection from phone to PBX
    It also means that you can sit at your desk and browse directly to a phone.
  2. set the pepwave to prioritize the speedfusion traffic over all other WAN traffic.
  3. Allow only speedfusion to use the cellular, so “regular” traffic is blocked. You can do that with outbound policies, but really easy with the VPN
  4. end to end real time speed and quality tests.
  5. Ability to set speedfusion to failover to cellular even when WAN is up - i.e. end-to-end latency over 300ms, or ANY packet loss snap over to cellular path. wait 8 seconds after WAN clean before switching back - that feature eliminated probably 80% of our “call quality” support calls. And it saved us money! Previously you call and say “My phones sound ike crap”. So we switch you to cellular, tell you to put in a ticket on your WAN and we check back the next day and switch you back. The actual WAN quality issue may have lasted ten minutes, but we had you on cellular for 24 hours…
    But with this feature it may snap over to cellular and back 10 or 20 times a day, for just a minute or two each time. You never notice a problem
4 Likes

Call Center needing a backup if fiber fails, Asterisk to Sip Carrier, 30 channels. Tried USB VZW USB730L fob on Balance 20. Sip would registered. No audio in ether direction. Blocking RTP I’m assuming. TX!

Good Info! TX! Did not think about it that way.

1 Like