VLAN setup not working as expected

I have a Balance 20 router with latest firmware. I’m testing what I thought would be a very simplified VLAN configuration to isolate a set of network devices from the rest of my LAN, and it’s not working as expected. I posted earlier asking for general advice, and got some great help (see Need some hand-holding to create separate LAN). This was my first step towards implementation. My simplified topology consists of the Peplink Balance 20 with LAN port 1 connected to my switch (and the rest of my network), and LAN port 4 setup as VLAN 4. I’m testing it by directly connecting my laptop to LAN port 4, as such:

+-----------------------------------------------+
|                                               |
|     Peplink Balance 20 Router                 |         +---------------+
|                                               |         |               |
|    ++LAN+-----------+      ++WAN+------+      |         |    Laptop     |
|     1    2    3    4        1    2    3       |         |               |
+-----+--------------+--------+-----------------+         +------+--------+
      |              |        |                                  |
      |              |        +-----> (ISP: Spectrum)            |
    +-+              |                                           |
    |                +-------------------------------------------+
    |
    |                                           +------------------+
    |                                           |                  |
+---+-------------------------------------------+-------+     +----+----+
|   2   4   6   8    10  12  14  16    18  20  22  24   |     |         |
|                                                       |     | WiFi AP |
|   TP+Link JetStream Smart PoE+ Switch T1600G+28PS     |     |         |
|                                                       |     +---------+
|   1   3   5   7     9  11  13  15    17  19  21  23   |
+-------------------------------------------------------+

In my router, I have two LANs defined – the default “Untagged LAN” with VLAN = “None”, defined as 10.88.88.1/24, and the new VLAN, “ExtNet4” with VLAN = 4, and network defined as 10.44.44.4/24.
Both networks have DHCP server enabled, and Inter-VLAN Routing disabled. I have no static routes defined. Under Port settings, I have LAN ports 1-3 set to Port Type = Trunk and VLAN = Any, and I have LAN port 4 set too Port Type = Trunk, and VLAN = ExtNet4.

I expected that this would let me plug my laptop into LAN port 4 on the router, and I’d be issued a DHCP-assigned IP of 10.44.44.10 (first address in my DCHP range), and I’d be able to route out to the internet without a hitch, but not be able to see or route to anything else on my LAN.

What I actually got, though is nothing. I do not get any DHCP address assigned. I cannot even ping 10.44.44.4 when connected to LAN port 4. Connecting my laptop to any other port gives me a 10.88.88.xxx IP address, and I can see everything. Also, if I change Port settings for LAN port 4 to VLAN = Any, then my laptop gets a 10.88.88.xxx IP address and I can see everything.

I’m sure I’m must misunderstanding something, or missing some other key setting. I’d be grateful for some advice!

@chamsdf

Hi, are you able to get DHCP assignments from the Untagged VLAN? It seems like only Port4/Vlan4 is the problem from what you posted.

To fix the Port 4 problem, switch the setting from “Trunk” to “Access” and then select VLAN4. Unplug network cable, or reconnect the computer to network and it should pick up the correct IP address.

I would take a look at this guide from @mldowling, its pretty straight forward to what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks a ton, @Cable17 – that’s exactly what I was missing. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.