Video streaming over cellular only using bonding

Hi all,

I am trying to stream video over cellular using 2 Pepwave max HD2 mini. each HD2 has 2 sim cards in the intent of using bonding.

I couldn’t manage to establish a VPN directly between the 2 HD2s (Status on the dashboard is stuck on “Starting…”). Reading through the forum, it seems I need to use a FusionHUB virtual applicance.

So I installed and configured a FusionHUB appliance on Amazon Web Serices. The 2 HD2 can connect to it → no problem there.

Then I installed a video encoder on one hand and the decoder on the other. I wired my PC to one of the HD2s and managed to ping the encoder from the “other side”.

However, the video decoder connected on one HD2 can never “find” the encoder connected to the other. I tested the encoder/decoder on the same lan to ensure they worked.

What am I missing here?
Do I really need a FusionHUB or can I connect the 2 HD2s together without it?
If the encoder/decoder need to connect through specific ports in order to recognize each other, could there be something not obvious that blocks the traffic?

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Manu

A Max HD2 mini is capable of bonding and each unit can run 2x peer tunnels so should be no issue is setting up a bonded tunnel directly between, it sounds like you have an issue in your VPN settings or perhaps a device in front of the HD2(s) is not allowing the tunnel to setup.

You need the following ports opened if you have a firewall/NAT in front of the Peplink on either side.
TCP/UDP 32015
UDP 4500

1 Like

Do the SIM cards provide static or otherwise public IP addresses? If they are all carrier NAT addresses then that might be your direct connection problem.

1 Like

Hi zegor_mjol,

Yep it seems you nailed the problem. They are carrier NAT addresses.

1 Like

Hi cgreen,

I connected one of the pepwaves on a landline internet connection via the WAN port. I could then establish a VPN between the 2 HD2s. It seems the issue of connecting the 2 HD2s via cellular lies in the carrier NAT address my providers allocate. Of course, I have no access on their infra and cannot setup port forwarding :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hi,

Setting up a peer to peer tunnel on cellular each end is possible but you would need static IP’s on at least one end ideally, otherwise you will need to use dydns or similar and use hostnames as most cellular connections are on large carrier grade NAT ranges and you dont get statics (unless you pay extra, some providers do offer this).
Also cellular each end isnt really ideal but can work, I would mitigate issues by using multiple carriers at the locations and ensure each carrier can achieve LTE with good signal (use external antenna to boost signal strength and quality if you can).
Having a hub is a way around the issue you have with lack of static and any NAT issues as the fusionhub will act as a ‘hub’ for your cellular ‘spokes’ and you can route between them via the fusionhub which needs to be on a static public IP.

1 Like