Video Streaming for Remote Audio & Video Broadcast - SpeedFusion Cellular Bonding

Environment:

• A producer is making a documentary, and needs to set up a remote temporary studio.
  • The studio is placed into a van, which is driven to different locations as needed.
  • Each location may have different Internet connections available.

Requirement:

• Video recordings need to be backed up a file server located at the production office.
  • Content needs to be available to the production office for editing before the production team returned from the temporary studio. Video is also edited on-site.
  • Temporary studio also needs to provide filming crew with Wi-Fi access.
  • Temporary studio needs the ability to use any locally available connection (ADSL, cellular, Wi-Fi)
  • Temporary studio needs to stream media back to production center at 2Mbps.

Recommended Solution:

• Form a SpeedFusion Tunnel using a MAX HD2 at the remote studio and a Balance 210 at the production office.
  • The MAX HD2 can stream the encoded video data through ADSL, cellular, and Wi-Fi connections as needed.
  • ADSL connections have slow upload speeds, faster speeds can be achieved by bonding ADSL with other connections.

Devices Deployed: MAX HD2, Balance 210

2 Likes

Thanks for the diagram. It’s similar to my configuration. Hope it works well for you.

i have a similar scenario for the one you have, but i have 118 sites based in 26 countries globally, having MPLS and internet VPN connection, i wanted to know what is the sizing based on? and the bet practice design, should i apply a mesh scenario for sites in the same countries and all countries should be in a star-spoke design with the HQ?

So the short answer is that ultimately the network design needs to follow your application data flow. So if you have a larger regional office in each country (acting as a country HQ) with smaller satellite offices and the general data flow is from the satellite offices back to the regional HQ (or vice versa - perhaps you have application/voice/file servers in the regional HQ) then you would look to do a Hub Spoke network design in each country and then mesh the hubs in each country together so that any remote site can route traffic to any other (if that is desired).

When using our devices to create VPN networks we size them by two main factors generally - their SpeedFusion throughput capability and the number of remote VPN peers that they support.

Take a look at the comparison page for the balance http://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ and you will see that our smaller Balance 210/310 devices support upto 30Mbps of SpeedFusion VPN throughput and 2 VPN Peers. We often see these devices used in poor bandwidth locations where DSL might only be available so the 30Mbps SF throughput is fine and they will frequently connect to a single main Hub device in a DC and have an secondary VPN connection to a failover hub device in another Datacenter. You will also see that we have a full range of devices that go right up to 2Gb of SF throughput and 4000 VPN peers - so you can pick a device that best suits each locations requirements.

So in answer to your question, you will need to do a network audit and analyse bandwidth utilisation across all of your links currently, identify connectivity bandwidth availability at each site and project how that might increase over the lifespan of the project so that you can then choose the right device to for each site. Then you need to drawn out the logical VPN network so you know how many other sites a device at a location will connect to via SF VPN and you will then be able to choose which device is the best fit for each location.

I’d be happy to help with the network design - feel free to contact me on [email protected] if you would like to.

1 Like

Form a SpeedFusion Tunnel using a MAX HD2 at the remote studio and a Balance 210 at the production office.
The MAX HD2 can stream the encoded video data through ADSL, cellular, and Wi-Fi connections as needed.
ADSL connections have slow upload speeds, faster speeds can be achieved by bonding ADSL with other connections.

Hi guys here’s my original post Peplink | Pepwave - Forum Now that I’m seeing what I could achieve with Pepwave’s infrastructure I would definitely want to be able to feed camera shots live and even creating a hotspot would be ideal. My question is what is a decent video encoder/decoder for that purpose? I usually use a 15" Macbook Pro with a Matrox MX02 on the field and a Dell M6600 with Avid Mojo DX both using Avid MC 6.5. I usually shoot with a Sony PMW-200. Is there a way to use that setup and have a software video encoder running on the Mac? Or a piece of hardware??? The thing is I can’t find anything on the web that makes sense all I get for results are stuff like VLC to encode!!!

I don’t have much experience in this field but maybe another user on the Forum can chime in…

1 Like

After some research I found a few encoder/decoders!!! Actually the net is flooded with I.P encoder/decoders ranging from $3000 for a pair like the Teradek Cube to a $10000 per unit Streambox encoder/decoder!!! Which in any case you need 2 units!!! The question is which or does any I.P encoder/decoder on the market would work with any of the Pepwave products? AS I an see from my quick research pretty much everybody makes those nowadays they pretty much all have the same features except the prices are all over the place. The reason why I couldn’t find any is I would just put HD encoder/decoder in my search but the right term is I.P encoder/decoder

Use Case:

2 Cellular connections on a Pepwave MAX HD2 LTE model to communicate to a Balance router.

Products used was from Marshall electronics (PS-102-HDI) : http://www.lcdracks.com/servers-cameras/

Encoder/Decoder worked great when sending live feeds from a camera through the SpeedFusion tunnel using cellular.

Awesome thanks for the reply!!! I was actually looking at the Marshall encoder/decoders there’s so many on the market but I like the specs of those plus I use a lot of marshall products for monitoring. I have another question… Is there a way to set the latency with a Pepwave system? I was reading about the turnkey systems that are available on the market right now and they all have different presets of latency. For example if you feed a tape there’s a 20 seconds latency preset it takes more time to feed but the picture “in theory” is more solid with less breakups than a 1 second latency which could be used for live situation but the signal is more fragile and the compression shows mostly on fast moving videos. Of course all depends on how good your network is but I think that’s a great option to be able to select quality versus speed transfer!!

Hi,

Are you looking for 20 seconds buffering instead of latency? If my assumption is correct, this should be the behavior of end devices.

I’m trying to replicate a LiveU 700 But after getting a quote from them there’s no way I could afford that. So that’s why I think a Pepwave system with an encoder/decoder set would do the same thing. I can’t find the actual specs but it’s mentioned somewhere that the LU700 has a low latency of 0.5 seconds for live interviews. AS far as I can tell the LiveU700 is pretty much the same thing as what’s on the original diagram but for 1/4 of the price!!

http://www.liveu.tv/LU700.html

It has satellite capabilities but I have no interest in that and all the other options.

http://www.liveu.tv/Pages/FileManager/FileManager/UserFiles/RightStagesAssets/LU700_Oct2013_Web_DOC00056-00_Final.pdf

Hello,

It sounds like Low Latency mode allows you to limit the maximum delay time caused by plug-ins. Plug-ins will be bypassed to ensure that the maximum delay that can occur across the entire signal flow (of the current track) remains under the chosen value.

If this is the case then we don’t support this as a feature, however we can prioritize traffic on a packet level going through the tunnel using our QoS feature. I.E. prioritize audio/video over regular internet traffic (web traffic…etc.).

Hello Audiotek,
Enter into your favourite search engine “ip broadcast encoders”.
With a previous life was as a Television Broadcast Engineer, the encoders we were using had very high ticket prices compared to the consumer market quality products, Good news is that the developments of the broadcasters has filtered down to the Pro-Consumer market so you should be able to get a good piece of hardware for a reasonable price.
From experience make sure you go with quality including in your cables too.
Hope that helps a little :slight_smile:

Please don’t double post. You have asked the same thing here Não consigo somar links para Upload Streaming de Vídeo

Hi

Is there a way to use this to stream Facebook Live, we have requirements frequently from clients wanting to use the MAX Series to be able to get higher upload to FB Live or youtube etc.

Thanks in advance…

Yes. The way I would do this is with a multi cellular MAX device at the remote location with a FusionHub in the cloud. Then use SpeedFusion Bonding to combine the bandwidth across the cellular links.

However - depending on where you are in the world, cellular bonding can be challenging. Here in the UK we have a lot of shared cell tower infrastructure. This means that even when using SIMs from multiple providers you can frequently be only using a singular cell tower - with a single backhaul link - so bandwidth is shared amongst the connections and in these cases you won’t see a bandwidth improvement when bonding.

When I do bonding in a fixed location I always do a tower survey first then use directional antennas to make sure that I am using as many different cell towers as possible (some near and some far away) to provide the most amount of bandwidth possible…

1 Like

Thanks Martin,

We have the same issue here in India. I like the idea of using directional antennas - will have to give it a shot.