Video Conference or Zoom Application

Is Peplink able to detect video conferencing traffic by default?
or need to do setup on QoS for the application… eg: using zoom application

2 Likes

No not yet. There is talk of application detection that is in development though.
For now you would need to identify the traffic manually.

Not impossible but a bit of a boring job, and possibly the ‘easiest’ way would be by adding 45 outbound rules for the Zoom servers IPs:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362683-Network-Firewall-or-Proxy-Server-Settings-for-Zoom

4 Likes

Thanks, Martin. Number 45 is refer to the total list of IP address to add in right?
Is that we can set by QoS/Application? …customize with adding TCP/UDP ports? - fewer input instead.

How about setting in QoS on DSCP marking? Is this an alternative way? or setting outbound rules will be the best choice. Looking for lazy way to complete it :slight_smile:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207368756-QoS-DSCP-Marking

2 Likes

@chernyeing

If the Zoom application is doing DSCP marking at the application level then you can use Balance/MAX QOS prioritised the traffics.

You can refer to the following table for the DSCP name & Decimal value reference:

8 Likes

That’s a great idea I hadn’t thought of! Thanks @sitloongs

3 Likes

Yeah DSCP based QOS is the easiest way for sure! Had seen that Zoom could DSCP tag the traffic before that’s great!

2 Likes

One issue I see with the DSCP marking is… it doesn’t appear to be available for all users? Perhaps it’s only available in “Premium” Zoom accounts?

Anyhow, I can see value of Zoom/BlueJeans detection to ensure audio of these conference is getting high priority. It would be an awesome feature right now…

I’m thinking of buying a balance 310x and haven’t bought yet so can’t access the system to check this. My question is can you use the DSCP marking to force Zoom traffic to a speed fusion wan smoothing tunnel?

Best Wishes, Rhidian

@Rhidian and All

Zoom is supported in IC2 SaaS rules now. Details info please refer to the screenshot below:

Reference :heart:

3 Likes

Awesome. Thank you.

1 Like