Verizon Modem Compatibility 1023 on a Surf SOHO MK3 running Firmware 8.0.2 build 1480

Simple Question: I have a Surf SOHO MK3 running firmware 8.0.2 build 1480 which states that the modem support list is 1023. I used to use a Verizon USB modem called a Novatel MiFi® 4G LTE Global USB Modem U620L. It simply plugged into the USB port on the back of the Surf SOHO and no other power cords needed.

When you on the Surf SOHO admin “status” page and you click on the link entitled “Modem Support List” it pops up a webpage of supported USB modems. The list for Verizon includes several that have Modem Support Version numbers which are lower than my current “1023”.

So if a modem in that list shows for example, 1017 can I assume this means that any modem listed with a number lower than my 1023 will work?

I don’t want to get a stand-alone USB modem that connects to the router using a separate USB cable and requires it’s own power cord. Modems that plug in and get their power from the USB port like the old Novatel MiFi® 4G LTE Global USB Modem U620L did not require messy cables connecting the devices.

Verizon sells 4 “jetpacks/hotspots” but only one that plugs directly into the Surf SOHO USB port and it’s called Verizon Global Modem USB730L. I don’t see this modem listed on the list of supported modems. I do see my old MiFi U620L listed as supported with 1019 (assuming that works with my current 1023?). Verizon does not sell the MiFi U620L only the SB730L.

What to do?

Any and all replies appreciated. --Kindly, Marty

I would call your ISP and explain your situation in order to establish what their return policy is in case the SB730L doesn’t work. You could also try looking for a U620L on Amazon - $55 used to $100-$200 new. :negative_squared_cross_mark: Or go to the 5G store and see what they recommend. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Hello and Good Day

I use the Netgear AC791L on my Surf soho MK3. It’s tethered with usb cable. It’s been working very well. I’m sure you could find one on the internet and get sim from carrier.

1 Like