Using the VPN with a Laptop

I have a Surf SOHO MK3 with the latest Firmware and I would like to connect to it using the PepVPN with my Laptop while I’m on vacation using WiFi or a Cat-5 cable.

What would I need to do in order to do this?

Thanks

Troy

Hi. Not sure exactly what you are asking? Is the SOHO physically with you while traveling or is it at your home? What is your objective?

What I meant to say is, it possible to use my Home router’s VPN while I’m traveling using my Laptop from lets say a hotel wifi?

Other wise I would have to pay for a VPN service for my laptop.

OK. That’s easy. Configure your laptop to tunnel into it via L2TP. The SOHO makes a fine VPN end-point.

You ask about PepVPN. That’s a superior method to connect two (or more) Peplink devices. If, for example, you were to travel with a Peplink device then you might “call home” to the SOHO there via PepVPN. (Actually, that would be my preferred solution.)

1 Like

Thanks,

Is there a tutorial for L2TP?

What would I need to make my Laptop a Peplink device so I could “call home” as you say?

Hi @troypulk,

Here is a link which might help:-

Hope this helps,

Steve

1 Like

Thanks,

All I need to do now is figure how to connect my laptop using a public wifi.

My laptop is running Linux-Debian Testing and I have installed the necessary L2TP software to I’m trying to connect it using the L2TP With IPsec.

What would be the gateway for the L2TP With IPsec?

@Steve.Taylor was thoughtful enough [above] to send you a nice link as to how to set up L2TP on the SOHO.

As to your question … One cannot “make my Laptop a Peplink device.” When I travel I take a Peplink router (SOTG or SOHO – I strongly prefer the latter) with me. They’re both pre-set to establish a PepVPN connection to one of several other Peplink routers. The latter may be at my office, home, radio tower site, a client location, etc.

You may want to check with the folks from whom you acquired your SOHO for recommendations and assistance in configuring.

1 Like

Thanks,

This does not work at the same time I’m connected to the Surf SOHO through WiFi but it did work when I used my phone as a hot spot.

I can’t figure out why it didn’t work, does any one here have any idea’s as to why?

Thanks

Can you elaborate on your set-up/topology? I’m a bit foggy as to “what you have connected to what” as well as what you hope to accomplish?

And, can you tell us what “public wi-fi” you are using and if you have checked to see if they are blocking the ports you need for the VPN?

1 Like

I followed the link posted by Steve above and did it on my laptop, then I tried to test it by using my Home Surf SOHO WiFi connected to my ISP, Wave.

This didn’t work, I think because I’m using the routers wifi which comes from my ISP so I’m already connected to it, but when I Set up L2TP With IPsec on my android cell phone it worked and my cell connected to my home ISP, I think because my cell is using AT&T, when it was connected my cell’s IP was the same as my home ISP which in Steve’s link was the WAN1 connection.

So when I used my cell as a wifi hotspot and it’s using AT&T my laptop worked and was connected to my home ISP using AT&T and the Set up for L2TP With IPsec.

What I need to do now is go out to starbucks and see if it still works, I’m betting that it will.

what I hope to accomplish is when I’m on vacation in some other state and using a hotel wifi or some other wifi that I would have a secure and some what private connection like a VPN would provide except in this case I would be using my Home ISP no matter where I’m at in the country.

I tested this at a public wifi in town and it works just fine.

Thanks

1 Like