I have 3 AP One AC Minis that are working well, but I have some questions:
- They are on the same SSID and are all broadcasting both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz radios. The “auto” setting has each of them using a different channel in the 2.4 GHz radios. Should I force them to all use the same channel manually? As far as I can tell, the 5.0 GHz radio seems to use the same channel for each AP on the auto setting.
- When I check signal strength in my house using “Wifi Analyzer” on my android phone, the 2.4 GHz radio has higher signal levels than the 5.0 GHz radio. Is that because of better penetration through walls using 2.4 GHz?
- My phone supports 802.11ac. Am I likely to have faster speeds on the 5 GHz radio even though the signal level is lower?
- Should I enable “boost” on either of the radios? Is there a downside (like shorter equipment life) if you use “boost”?
- How do I control or know which radio my phone or laptop is connecting to? Do I have to create separate SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz radios?
- Do you have any other advice for the best wifi settings to use?