US/Verizon SIM in Pepwave Max stuck Obtaining Ip in Canada

Hello there!

We’re in Canada and using a Verizon Sim in our Pepwave. Everything was working great yesterday, but today it looks like we’re stuck on “Obtaining IP”. I’ve called Verizon and everything is set up to allow for international roaming on my plan, but it’s still blinking. I’ve done a hard reset, moved locations, kissed the machine and nothing is working. I’m not very familiar with the different settings within the server, so maybe there’s something I should change there to make it work properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m here until Oct 10th and while I love coffee shops, I’d like to be able to use this device to connect to wifi.

Thank you!

Is roaming turn on? Its under the cellular setting page.

i agree, check roaming, and make sure you are using a data / hotspot plan, not a phone plan.

+1 to both of the above. Can also try disabling SmartCheck. For whatever reason, that has worked for me on Domestic T-Mobile SIMs stuck in the same state.

Thank you, everyone. I’ve turned roaming on, SmartCheck off, and confirmed that it is a data/hotspot plan…still stuck on obtaining IP. I’ve also changed the APN settings to local carriers and that hasn’t worked. I’ve taken a screenshot of my settings - anything jumping out at you? Thanks again! !

ee-330-e-0-d-f-243-4-c-9-d-b-6-af-94-e-1-d-99-c-532-e.jpeg|1170x2532

@Zoe_Nardo, Have you thought about just getting a prepaid SIM from a Canadian provider since you are there for around 6 or so weeks, rather than struggling to get VZW to work up there?

Hey - yeah I thought about that but when I tried, they told me that I needed to be a Canadian citizen to open a plan/get data. If I was going to get a prepaid SIM, it would give me 5gb and be ~$80. 5gb would last me half a day of work. Good idea though.

Can someone confirm that the Pepwave Max Transit Duo LTEA even works in Canada?? Also, why is it impossible to speak with someone at Pepwave? Thank you!

@Zoe_Nardo, The device should work there, I mean it is getting a connection to a cellular network, just not actually connecting.

I think some of your settings need to be adjusted after looking at your screenshot.

1. You are using a Verizon SIM - try the APN => vzwinternet or just internet
  2. Your device despite using a VZW sim is connecting to the Telus network in Canada - try the APN => sp.telus.com
  3. The current APN settings you have inputted for for the Canadian carrier “Bell” and shouldn’t be used for this configuration.
  4. You can try setting the “Network Mode” box to Verizon only instead of auto.
  5. You can try just setting the APN mode back to auto also.
  6. Is the firmware the latest version for your device?
  7. Lastly, have you tried putting everything back to default/Auto and rebooting? Sometimes the reboot does the trick.
1 Like

JEFF! YOU FREAKIN’ DID IT! Turning my Network Mode to Verizon instead of auto & changing the APN to vzwinternet did the trick. Thank you so much! You saved us from being fired from our job. YAY

3 Likes