Updating Surf Soho Mk3 to Firmware 8.3.0 and multiple config files?

Hi,

I run my Mk3 SOHO with several config files. I read that the config files from 8.2 to 8.3 are no longer backwards compatible.
So I am wondering if I will have to manually configure the uninstalled configurations if I update to 8.3??
Something I REALLY would prefer to avoid. Is there a way to avoid this?? Are there any major updates to the security within 8.3?
If not, I might just take a pass on this update (I did read the change log and didnt see anything major but figure I’d ask)

I am not a professional IT guy and dont regularly mess with my settings if I dont have to. But I have some port forwarding and other
things set up in different config files for when I travel vs when I am home.

I dont look at this stuff often and have to re-invent the wheel so to speak; to refresh my memory to make the changes manually again.
Something I would really like to avoid if possible!

Thanks for any help,

P

Hi Paul. I haven’t tried the following procedure myself but I think it should work. First, re-boot the router back to firmware 8.2.1 using the pre 8.3.0 config file you want to convert. Then, upgrade to 8.3.0 without changing the config file. Once you’ve completed the upgrade, save the config file which should now be compatible with 8.3.0 firmware. You should repeat this for each each config file you want to convert.
If you have just a few config files, this process shouldn’t be too bad. Also, Peplink support may have a tool to do this. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Much appreciated. Maybe this is a dumb question - or 2 dumb questions…

I studied the New Features release notes for 8.3.0 and dont see many changes that will affect me. Mostly Fusion and Mesh type improvements with no real security or performance for single AP, home user like myself. Am I missing something? I have a pending trip in a month and thinking about staying on 8.2.1 if there arent security issues addressed with the update.

If there are good reasons for me to update, how do I revert back to 8.2.1? I have the file. Do I just upload to the SOHO it; and it will overwrite newer firmware?? I read somewhere that the SOHO maintains the old firmware but have no idea how to access it.

Thanks again,

P