Unable to Upgrade to 8.0.1 - Now unable to Upgrade to 8.0.2!

I had trouble updating Surf SOHO Mk3 to 8.0.1 from 8.0. The upgrade progress bar stalled at for eight minutes 79% until I logged out then back in to discover I was indeed current with 8.0.1.

@Jaywalker John – Likely a non-issue. After you see the progress bar stop just reload the main page (e.g. 192.160.50.1 or whatever you have configured) via the GUI. The router may not do it for you. When you do so you’ll almost certainly see that the FW upgrade was successful. - Rick

2 Likes

That’s what happened, all right.

1 Like

Backed up config
Reset SOHO back to factory defaults
Applied FW upgrade offline
Success!
Restored config
Job done

4 Likes

Thanks - that worked !

This problem has reared its ugly head again. Now unable to update to 8.0.2!

Could it be something in my config?
Have I done too much tinkering/securing?

@brill

Do you have ticket for this ?

1 Like

Another Surf SOHO MK3 user here…reporting the exact same problem. Failed to update from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1, and also failed to update from 8.0.0 to 8.0.2. The update appears to work, then the device reboots, but afterwards it remains at 8.0.0.

I opened up a ticket with support, and now they’re telling me “there nothing we can do.”

I’m really disappointed with this manufacturer. I went with Peplink because they were supposed to have the best ongoing support and updates. Now I’m seeing otherwise.

Hi Derek:

What’s the ticket number for the issue? I’d like to take a look just to see if that’s where things stand.

Regards:
Jason
The Peplink Team

1 Like

Jason,

The ticket number is 0010084.

Thank you,
Derek

There is a second ticket number as well: 9110077

Hi Derek:

Thank you for the information, I was able to find your ticket and research further.

From the ticket information, it appears that there’s been a hardware failure with your SOHO which is why one of your reboot options is coming up as “non-bootable”. Due to the apparent hardware failure, troubleshooting software is a moot point and we’d normally move to RMA replacement/repair options (assuming warranty coverage). However, in this case, it appears that we’re outside of warranty coverage, taking RMA options normally off the table.

I’m working with the team further to see what, if any options, we can do. Thank you for being patent here, I’ll follow-up.

Regards:
Jason
The Peplink Team

1 Like

Jason,

I appreciate your looking into this. I would like to add that prior to attempting to update the firmware from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1, the Firmware 1 option did not say “Non-bootable.” It was only when we attempted the routine update did that change…and it may have been the remote assistance performed by Dawit in ticket 9110077.

Also, why would a “non-bootable” message in the Firmware 1 option indicate that there is a hardware failure? Can that memory be reformatted or reset?

1 Like

Hi Derek:

I was able to work with the team here and get an approval for a one-time courtesy RMA (outside of warranty coverage). We’ll be following up with you in the ticket created with further details about that process. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Regards:
Jason
The Peplink Team

1 Like

Hi Derek:

Re: updating firmware possibly starting the issue - we’d like to get the unit back to confirm things and see if indeed that was the root cause or just an unfortunate coincidence.

Regards:
Jason
The Peplink Team

1 Like

I had the same problem updating from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2.

Tried multiple times, router reboots and comes back online but status always showed still on 8.0.1.

Then tried through inControl2. No change the first time, tried another then it worked.

Under reboot, it doesn’t actually list 8.0.2 as running however.

I just purchased the unit in November so still under warranty. Should I also get this looked into?

Hi Stego:

Go ahead and get a ticket started for us to start looking into things. We’d also ask for a Diagnostic Report and Remote Assistance enabled to allow the team to hit the ground running.

Regards:
Jason
The Peplink Team

1 Like

Done. Thanks for the prompt reply!

We will investigate on this and get back to you via support ticket.

1 Like

Jason,

Thank you, I got the RMA notice. Hopefully the engineering team will be able to identify the root cause.

Derek